1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] bios password

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by devil, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devil

devil Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to retrieve a password for bios. I`ve tried the shop that sold the pc but to great amazement they don`t have any record of the password.
    The pc is about 4-5 years old and is running w2k.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can reset the password on most MB's by setting the clear jumper with power off for a few seconds. Look for a jumper near the battery, or do a search on the web on the model number of the PC or MB.

3. ahhoe

ahhoe

or you can remove the backup battery for 10 mins. Then put it back.
    The password will be gone

4. JohnWill

Actually, you frequently have to remove the battery overnight at least. There are capacitors on many MB's that will keep the voltage on the RAM, sometimes for hours. It's much easier to use the jumper.

5. Jelley

Jelley

6. devil

devil Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the help

7. JohnWill

Did it work?

8. cubs567

cubs567

I remember seeing somewhere that there is a default windows bios password. I think its either 123321 or 12321. Hope it works.

9. JohnWill

There is no such thing as a "Windows BIOS" password. The BIOS is part of your computer system, and totally separate from the O/S you have loaded onto it. Also, while there used to be default passwords to some BIOS versions, the most common one I remember was "AMI". In addition, that password was history once you set your own, that was only the factory default.

10. devil

devil Thread Starter

Won`t be working on it again for a couple of days so as soon as i do i will post back and let ye know if it worked.
    Thanks again for all the help.

11. devil

devil Thread Starter

Tried the passwords but to no avail, but by taking out the battery and leaving it out for ten minutes or so it worked. Password erased when i replaced the battery.

Thanks again folks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice