1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS Post 3 Long Beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xialon, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I was fiddling around with OC my RAM, and I increased the voltage to about 1.5V (I read somewhere that up to 1.7V is safe). I restarted my computer, and nothing would post. No beeps or anything.

So, I reset my RAM and started up the computer. I get three long beeps. Now, I know that that is a RAM issue. So, my question is not about the RAM.

I did the CMOS reset (hard reset with the jumpers and removing the battery for 5 minutes), and that didn't solve anything.

Am I to assume that the RAM is fried? Is hearing the Post beeping a good thing knowing that my BIOS or motherboard isn't messed up? If I put a new DDR3 RAM in the slot, will the computer try to push in 1.5V and fry my new RAM or will it reset the voltage back to a safe level?

I just want to make sure if I replace my RAM that the OC won't stick and fry the new one. Don't want to waste more money.

My computer:

Motherboard: MSI 970A - G46
    RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB (8GB x 2) @ 1666 Mhz
    CPU: AMD FX-8120 OC @ 3.6Ghz (my CPU was stable and working fine with the OC)
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    PSU: Corsair 750W
    HDD: Too old to remember what the brand is. It's 6 years old.

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

3. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

I switched to an older keyboard. Reboot and there were no beeps.

I switched back to my new keyboard that I bought a couple of weeks ago. No beeps.

Seriously hoping there is nothing wrong with the BIOS or motherboard. Can't really afford to buy a new mobo.

4. dai

dai

check the beep code here

www.bioscentral.com

when i looked all i could find listed for volts was 1.5v

set the ram in the bios to auto detect

5. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

I took out the battery from the mobo for nine hours. Put it back in and did a hard reset of the CMOS with the jumpers. Computer is working now. But, RAM is at 664 Mhz. And, the computer says only 3Gb of my 16Gb is usable.

Yay for more problems...

6. dai

dai

are you running windows 32x or 64x

7. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

32 bit. I checked the settings in my BIOS, and it also detects my 16Gb at 1333.

I didn't see any RAM mapping options to enable or disable.

8. dai

dai

for windows to use all the ram,you will have to do a clean install of win 64x

the bios may see all the ram but win 32x is incapable of seeing it

9. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

It detects the 16gb of RAM, though. It says only 3GB is usuable. Are you sure it isnt a problem with RAM itself? I took it out and put it back in multiple times. I am afraid that I may have bent a pin or something

10. dai

dai

you need to install win 64x

11. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

Aye, aye captain. I will do that when I buy a new HDD in a couple of weeks.

12. dai

dai

ok post back to this thread when you have installed and let us know how you get on

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  14. Xialon

Xialon Thread Starter

I haven't bought my new HDD drive yet, but I did install a 64-bit OS. It now recognizes all 16GB of my RAM. Thanks. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice