1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS Save and Exit Settings Disabled!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gsquared, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsquared

gsquared Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I have a slight problem. I am trying to boot from the CDROM drive but in order to do that I have to get into the BIOS. I am able to get into the BIOS and set the startup sequence to boot from the CDROM drive and after that you have to select Save and Exit to save the current settings. The trouble I am having involves the Save and Exit feature in the BIOS. For some reason it is disabled and I dont know how to enable it again. All of the other Save features in the BIOS are also disabled. Someone told me to press F12 or F10 at the beginning of startup to directly go to the startup sequence to boot from the CDROM but that is also not working.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

2. jmwills

jmwills

Sounds as though there is a password on your BIOS. What make of machine is this? F12 will get you to a selection of boot devices on a Dell. Unsure of others.

3. gsquared

gsquared Thread Starter

I have attached a .txt file with the BIOS settings of my machine. I am able to get to the BIOS Setup Utility by pressing F1. It's an IBM Netvista.
    Further problems when booting up (perhaps as a result of BIOS settings):
    - When booting up the NumLock key, and Scroll Lock lights are flashing in sequence. It seems like the keyboard is not recognized on some boot up options, but not all.
    - When booting from CD/DVD-ROM an error message appears: 'NTLDR is missing. Press any key to restart.' No key is recognized when I press it.
    - When booting from Hard Disk I get a message warning that the boot sector has changed. Press F4 if the change is expected. Press F9 if the change is not expected. Again, no key is recognized when I press either F4 or F9. (I'm thinking that this may be because 1. the boot sector has actually changed or, 2. the Startup Virus Detection setting in BIOS is set to Enabled.

I did format the disk as a FAT32 file system as an experiment. Prior to that I was able to install W2K from CD, using the entire Hard Disk.

The machine originally came with XP installed but I wanted to run Linux (Debian) on it so I deleted the XP OpSys and successfully installed Linux with GRUB. I do not have a need for Linux and want to get back to a Windows installation. Ideally, to do a product restore. If that is not possible, install W2K. No XP product disk was supplied.

I have tried to give you all of the information I can to see if you can help me either do an XP product recovery or be able to install W2K.

Thanks for you help!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. gsquared

gsquared Thread Starter

This is really embarrassing!! jmwills suggested that I probably had a password set on BIOS. I kept trying values and it turns out the the password was set to all blanks. I was able to get into my BIOS, modify the settings and successfully change and save the settings. I am currently installing W2K before I started "fooling around" with the system. BTW... I am still going to search for ways to do a product recovery back to XP. But, that is another story.

Many thanks to jmwills for such a prompt reply!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!