Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Bios seems to be messed...help needed please.

693 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  24giovanni 
#1 ·
Brand new intel p4 has issues. Please help. it shows the intel p4 screen, start bios then gets a few 95,BA, 94, E9. Then gets a long consistent beeping noise. It sounds like the bios is messed up.

Under system summary, it says sys manufacturer intel

system model D945gtp
system type x86-based pc

What can I do to fix this issue. I appreciate any and all help.

#5 ·
It looks like you are running an intel board with the 945 chipset. What cpu do you have installed? If it is a 9xx model, the bios will need to be updated in order to support the cpu.

A common problem with the socket 775 is installing the hsf [heatsink fan] It can be somewhat difficult to install and get all four pins fully inserted.

If you are running an older cpu like the 8xx series, I would start with pulling all add-in cards. It looks like that is an onboard video board so you can try for a post without any cards installed.

Next did you get this to post outside of the case prior to installing?

Here is a set of instructions I have made for problem builds; follow the ones that pertain to your sit.

What to do with a "Problem Build"

First are you getting the board to post [power on self test] If yes follow the first set of instructions

Board posts however there are lockups, bsod, cannot install windows

1) Since it posts, check your temps in the bios. It is very difficult to say what a "Normal" temp should be since each type of cpu [P4, Athlon, AMD64, etc] has a normal temp. What you should see in the bios is a stable temp of <55C. If the temp is much higher than that, you probably have the heatsink fan installed incorrectly.

2) If the temps are ok, pull all cards from the system except the video card. Disconnect any peripherals such as printer, scanner, usb hub, etc. Is it stable now? If so you have a problem with a piece of hardware or its driver.

3) Test the memory with a tester like memtest86. Just because you see a memory test during post means nothing. All that does is check to see if the memory is there. It does not check each memory address. Note this test is run from bootable media ie CD or floppy; there is no need for an operating system to be installed.

4) Power supply. A modern P4 or AMD64 needs a quality power supply. It is difficult to say what wattage you will need since this is dependant on many things; the number of fans, the number of hard drives you have installed, the type of video card you have installed, amount of ram, etc. A bare minimum would be in the neighborhood of 350W. The power supplies that come with many cases [however not all] are junk. Since modern systems make a very high demand on the 12V rail of the power supply, what you are looking for is something around 20+ amps on the 12V rail. Some good brands of power supplies are Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Sparkle, and some models of Coolmax. There are other quality units, however those are what I use in my builds.

You assembled the system, and it will not post

1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! The outside of some of these can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install the RAM (only install 1 stick for SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
5) Install the video card. Do make sure the card is FULLY seated.
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard.
8) Connect power to the power supply
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. You now have found you have a mounting problem. The board is shorting to the case. If not, then you most likely have a faulty component. You will need to swap parts with known good units ie power supply, cpu, ram, video card.

How to mount a new board in a case

1) Remove the IO plate from the back of the case.
2) Place the board in the case and use something like a sharpie or a pencil to mark the case where you will need to install the standoffs.
3) Remove the board and install the standoffs.
4) Install the IO plate
5) Place the board on the standoffs and slide it into the IO plate. Secure it with the screws provided with the case.

Just a reminder do not buy cheap parts!!!
I have one rule.

Quality hardware and properly installed software do not lockup, bsod, reboot itself, etc

#6 ·
I tried re-installing xp on my system but now I need a product key. Where can I get that? I found the key and re-installed it. However, I am still getting the same error as my original post.

I appreciate the post above but that seems a little out of my experience. Is the something else I can do.

Do we all agree it's a bios issue? Is there something i can do to fix that?

#8 ·
I found the key and I am back up but I am still having the original issue. I am in "windows advanced options menu" There is an option there that says "last know good configuration mode" Should I try selecting that. Please only answer this if you are extremely confident it will fix my issue which I think it is the bios. I appreciate all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.