1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] BIOS Setting- PNP or OS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Bht42, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bht42

Bht42 Thread Starter

What setting should I use in BIOS Setup under Boot Configuration or PNP/PCI Configuration Setup for selecting to either use PNP or OS. The default is NO, to let the BIOS configure all devices, or Yes, to let the operating system configure PLug & Play devices. Could someone explain these two choices.
    PIII 700Mhz, 512 RAM, 40GHD, Win Me.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Dan O

Dan O

What brand and version of BIOS do you have?

I have AWARD and take the defaults. Everything works.

3. Bht42

Bht42 Thread Starter

Dan, I have AMI Bios with a new Intel D845WN Motherboard. Maybe I didn't sate my question clearly. When I go into my BIOS, under 'Advanced-Boot Configuration', there are two choices-(1) Either I let the BIOS configure all Plug & Play Device Resources (Select NO), and (2) let the operating system (in my case Win Me) configure Plug & Play Device Resources (select YES).
    Any info appreciated,
    Bruce

4. brianF

brianF

My thoughts, if your going to run a plug and play os, than use it.

Let the os control them and leave the bios off

5. Bht42

Bht42 Thread Starter

Thanks Brian. I think that's the best, and most logical thing to do. I just don't understand, with Plug & Play being the most common thing around these days, the default setting is for the BIOS to arrange everything.
    Thanks again,
    Bruce

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice