1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS taking a long time to autodetect USB Mass Storage Device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bumphuk, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bumphuk

Bumphuk Thread Starter

My AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850e has a BIOS problem when I start from a cold boot. This problem does not occur when I restart from Windows (XP Pro SP3).

On a cold boot the BIOS starts and the following dialogue appears:

Initialising USB Controllers..Done
    1984MB OK
    USB Device(s): 1 Keyboard, 2 Hubs, 2 Storage Devices
    Autodetecting Pri Master.. Hard Disk MAXTOR STM3169215A 3 ADD
    Autodetecting Pri Slave.. Hard Disk Fujitsu MPE3192AT ED-03-04
    Autodetecting SATA1 ATAPI CD ROM: ATAPI iHAS 120 6 7L02
    Autodetecting USB Mass Storage Devices..
    Device 01:

It then takes over 5 minutes to detect the first USB Device and comes up with:

Generic Storage Device-Hi-Speed

It then detects the other devices normally and starts Windows. I have tried going into the BIOS and disabling the Autodetect Generic Storage Device but this has not solved the problem. As I said previously, this does not happen on a warm boot (Restart). Can anybody help me, please.

2. By_Rock

By_Rock

Try to plug in each devices to the USB ports one of the time, is it still taking to long? The problem can cause on faulty cable or devices. And did you try to flash bios and CHKDSK/r on HDD?

3. krazykat691

krazykat691

did you save your settings on exiting the bios?

4. Bumphuk

Bumphuk Thread Starter

Thanks By-Rock. No. I didn't but I will run CHEKDISK/r on next cold boot. btw, How do I flash BIOS?

5. Bumphuk

Bumphuk Thread Starter

Thanks krazykat691. I thought I did but will make sure on next cold boot. I will post the results.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Flashing your BIOS is something that should only be done if the new BIOS addresses a specific problem your BIOS has. Remember a BIOS Flash gone wrong can be the same as running over your computer with a train (rendering it useless). It is not recommended as a troubleshooting procedure.

You list 2 USB Hubs in your list of USB Devices. Are these actually external hubs, or are they the hubs normally listed in Device manager. If external hubs I would try it without them connected and see what happens. Exteral hubs can cause problems.

7. raybro

raybro

Are your USB Hubs eternally powered (AC Adapter) or do they draw power from the USB buss?

Raybro

8. Bumphuk

Bumphuk Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I disconnected the two unpowered USB hubs and it started OK. Will be more careful with hubs in future.:)

9. raybro

raybro

That is the most lieky cause of your problem. Unpowered hubs draw power from the +5 V USB Buss and running 2 of them probably overloaded it.

Raybro

10. Bumphuk

Bumphuk Thread Starter

Thanks again, Raybro. Everything is working great now. I never realised the problems that hubs could cause. I wouldn't care but they were mainly housing USB cords for plugging in things like my mobile phone and SD card reader that I hardly use. Fantastic response from everyone.

11. raybro

raybro

I've also found transfer rate is slower when I have my external drive connected to my powered USB hub. Much faster when connected to a port on the computer. I've no idea why, but it is.

Raybro

12. Bumphuk

Bumphuk Thread Starter

Thanks Raybro. Mine is connected directly to a computer USB port so I don't notice any difference in transfer rate. Seems just like an internal drive.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice