1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bios update Error P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kanislupus, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kanislupus

Kanislupus Thread Starter

I updated my motherboard from bios version 0402 to 3703 since I was updating my video card in the next week. Once the update was complete the reboot looped from the system check to the Asus logo over and over. I've tried to reset the board by jumper and battery removal, but all that does is reset the system clock. The bios remains the same. What have I done?

The only thing I can do is hit the 'del' and get to the bios, where I still see the Hard drives but for whatever reason it won't boot to them.

Is it possible to roll the bios back to the 0402? Is there a fix at all? Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 64bit
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Motherboard
    Any other information required to help will be provided since I really don't know what to offer.
    Hoping for a solution
    Regards,
    K

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

What method or steps did you use to update the BIOS?

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. Kanislupus

I used the Asus Update utility in Windows but when that didn't seem to work. I then tried to update using the Asus EZ Flash 2 method and it seem to complete the task successfully and it does show the new Bios 3703 when I hit delete to get to the bios menu.
    I've tried to boot with the motherboard z68 chipset support DVD (rev.577.06) but it won't boot from it and when I try to access it from the bios menus it says that the bios is older and won't update.

Is this what you are looking for?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I would've installed the video card first before updating the BIOS.

None of the BIOS updates I read address video card issues, so I doubt if a BIOS update is even necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm not familiar with ASUS motherboards and their BIOS update procedures, so I don't really know what went wrong.

Hopefully, one of the hardware experts here can assist you and resolve the issue.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Kanislupus

Oh I get that now. I'll never touch another motherboard bios unless it is absolutely necessary, but now I'm stuck and I don't know what to do.

My PC won't boot anymore and I've tried a variety of things to get it to do so with no luck.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If a BIOS update goes bad and can't be resolved, you're usually left with an expensive paperweight.

That's why a BIOS update shouldn't be done, unless it addresses and corrects issues that apply to the computer.

I fear you may have to replace the motherboard.

:(

----------------------------------------------------------

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, let me understand this. Is the mb completing POST ie can you access the bios?

BTW the ONLY way I recommend updating an asus mb is by using ez-flash. Flashing the bios from within windows is asking for a problem.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    crjdriver is one of the hardware experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am going out to run some errands. I will check this later in the day. If you can access the bios, then it may simply be that the sata controller mode needs to be set OR something like the incorrect hard drive is selected as the boot drive. Anyway I will check this later today.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I have one system with that exact same mb. It has been absolutely perfect; no problems at all. Runs an i2500k overclocked to 4.4gig.

11. Kanislupus

I tried everything including an Win7 boot disk and I could get to the hard drive. It would even allow me to install it on the hard drive, but without fail it wouldn't find the HDD once it had to reboot.

Looks like the board is dead. Or at least the Bios chip is. I figured if I needed to buy a new chip (almost 70$ for me) I might as well get a new motherboard. I hated to spend the money on an old LGA1155 model board, but the new 2011 boards aren't a step up for me at this time. The fact that they would require new ram and processor was the deciding factor.

Thank you for the replies, but I guess... dead is dead RIP P8Z68V-Pro/Gen3

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before giving up completely, you might try re-flashing the bios back to 3603 [which I know works very well]
    Download the bios file and unzip it. Copy the extracted file to the root of a usb flash drive. Make sure the usb drive is formatted as FAT32.
    System OFF, pull the pw connectors from all drives; both hd and optical. Now plug in the usb drive [preferably to a usb port on the back of the case ie directly on the mb. Restart and enter the bios; select ez-flash from the tools menu and flash the bios. Restart when prompted then shutdown. Now connect drives and see if it works.

13. Kanislupus

Not being one to give up I tried one more time, maybe I'm stubborn.

Following your (crjdriver) guide I did exactly what you said step by step. Booted to the EZ utility and flashed it "successfully" but after reconnecting the HDD and rebooting it just looped once again between the post and the Asus logo over and over.

I've gone ahead and order the only LGA 1155 that I could find waiting to see if I can get my machine up and running again later next week (depending on shipping). It won't be an Asus for the first time in three machines, but I couldn't find anything that I was willing to pay for in this generation of hardware. So I ended up with and ASRock... crossing my fingers.

Thanks for all the feedback. Wished it would have gone differently. And extremely expensive lesson to reinforce. Don't mess with a working bios ;)

14. Blu_86

Blu_86

So it was a bad flash? if you don't mind would you post some pictures of your old and new solution? Everyone has a cell phone these days and it's so easy to take a picture, or some sort of recording media. I see you had only a few posts in these forums, and I welcome you here. I don't know if anyone did that.

15. Kanislupus

Blu_86,
    I will post a few pictures once I get the parts I'm waiting for, hoping for an relatively trouble free change over.

Last week one of my computer monitors died. It was around six years old, and that model of Samsung had been known for having issue over time. Shortly after the fan on my video card seized up allowing it to jump over a recorded temp of 103°C a few times through night before it burned itself out. Lastly I decided to flash my bios since I was expecting the new card this week and didn't want to have any issues. It didn't complete correctly the first time and all subsequent attempts to get it up and running again failed. I just figured the old 0403 bios needed a refresher to the 3703, was I ever wrong.

I replaced my old Samsung 22" monitor with an LG 27". My HIS Radeon HD6850 with a Gigabyte GTX970 G1. My Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 is being replaced with an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. For good measure I also threw in a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD with my order since I needed to do a fresh Windows install anyway. This will be the first non Asus motherboard in the last three consecutive builds I've done for myself. I couldn't find an Asus I liked online, that was available with the options I wanted. The jump from the LGA 1155 series board to the 2011 boards wasn't an option at this time since it required a new processor and DDR4 ram. Neither of which would have improved my performance enough to make it worth the jump at the moment. In another twelve to eighteen months? Maybe. But not now.

Long winded explanation.

So a little bad luck that was expensive enough, but then I made the bigger mistake by changing something that wasn't broken just to get it current. In the end this will cost me additional funds and time since I will need to install windows fresh and take forever to get it back to where I'm happy with it.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I really wished I could have avoided the added costs but I guess the silver lining is that I will have a slightly faster machine for the new installed parts and a decluttered OS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice