1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS update, failure to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwrmc, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I've had several fairly minor problems over the past few months with the computer. I decided to try a BIOS update (yeah, I know!). The update seemed to go just as the instructions said it should. Now however it does not boot up. It stops at the Hardware screen and stays there. I have checked my boot devices priority and they are correct (HD/CD/USB). I have reset the CMOS twice. I have selected the "Optimum" settings in BIOS. Still the computer begins to boot up, passes the enter BIOS screen and then just hangs on the Hardware screen where my fans/temps etc are displayed.
    The MB is a TA890GXE (Biostar), the BIOS is American Megatrends and is version 080015 Which should be the latest according to their website.

2. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I tried to reset by attempting to boot (BioStar website info) using a USB thumb drive and BIOS file. It also goes just as the instructions says it should except at the finish nothing happened or changed.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If a bios is flashed or updated incorrectly with the wrong driver its not going to work right.you should of gone to the website of who made the computer such as dell, lenovo, ibm, etc and gotten the correct bios update from there.unless it was a custom made computer then i would of been very cautious about doing so.i would suggest taking it somewhere and hope it isnt bricked for good and nothing more than a doorstop or paperweight.

4. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I went to the correct website, I downloaded the correct BIOS update. It did give all indications that it went correctly and said that it was finished and restarting. The restart(s) then and since have hung on the hardware monitor screen.
    I sent a support email request to BioStar telling them of the problems and detailing the various things that I have tried within the BIOS setup screens. They responded by asking if I could get into BIOS and make changes! Doesn't anyone actually read these things? I'd love to get the machine back up and running again. BioStar indicates in their manuals and website FAQs that there is a backup restore option (actually the way I read their info is that it is automatic if the BIOS should fail for any reason) but it is not restoring anything.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    All i can suggest is take it somewhere and see what can be done to get it working right.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So you have already tried the bios recovery procedure listed on the biostar site?

Have you tried with both the CD and the floppy disk as well?

7. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    There is no way to try the floppy drive and if the USB procedure is not working I don't see how the CD version would be any better. However...I'll give it a try.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is somewhat "hit and miss" with the bios recovery. The only one that is almost bullet proof is the gigabyte dual bios; it has never failed for me. I have had some luck with the asus recovery however it worked about half of the time.

When you attempt the bios recovery, do so with ALL of the drives disconnected except the drive you are using for the recovery ie CD, Flash, or floppy. This way the bios will only see the drive with the recovery file.
    Read the instructions completely; some of these recovery apps require you to rename the bios file.

9. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I just tried using the CD and it made no difference. I have tried renaming the file to the BioStar recommendation of
    AMIBOOT.ROM and that made no difference either. I have a new computer arriving this afternoon, but I'd sure like to get my desktop back up and running. Using my wife's computer is a drag.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the bios chip is removable, you can simply purchase a new one from badflash

If it is not removable, I think you can ship them the whole board however do check. I have dealt with badflash before and I was happy with their service.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just reread your first post. If I am understanding this correctly, you can enter the bios and it does start post however it stops when detecting devices. Is that correct?

If so, you probably did not fry the bios however you have another part on the board failing or a device connected to the mb that is failing ie drive, card, etc. Post back if I did not read your post correctly.

12. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Mark me SOLVED: I found the problem. The BIOS update changed the order of devices. I figured it out trying to use the CD recovery. Long story short, I have two HD's installed internally, it was reading the wrong one. I kind of assumed it was hardware and was following the disconnect and try it method (as suggest by crjdriver). I had tried that with everything but the HD's. Moving the order of HD's in BIOS fixed the problem.
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/help. Expensive lesson for me.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working (y)

This is why we always advise against a bios update unless the update has a specific fix you need.

14. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Yeah, I know but the problems I was having made me think "Hey, It can't hurt!" (Wrong again (smile))

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice