Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: bios update for award bios

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  XPUser1991 
#1 ·
i have a computer i got from my aunt, when the computer starts up, at the top of the screen it says award modular BIOS v4.51PG

at the bottom it says: 08/21/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKB0DC-00

i want to know if there is an update for the bios, because i want to use a Maxtor 80GB hard drive.

#5 ·
You'll need to find the revision number on the board anyway to be sure that you have the right update.

What makes you think you need a BIOS update? What happens when you try to use the drive?

If you find an update, be sure to read the release notes. DO NOT attempt to update if it does not even address the problem you are having because a failure might mean that the computer would be useless.

#6 ·
The computer doesn't detect a primary master with he 80GB hard drive, the bios attempts to locate the primary master but doesn't find the hard drive, locates bothe cd-roms and the floppy drive, then reports primary hard drive failure, this hard drive works in my dell dimension 8300 with Dell's phoenix bios revision A04 so i have come to the conclusion that i need a bios update to support larger hard drives, this hard drive also worked on my packard Bell NEC Ready 9945 originally with windows 98, the mobo has M5ALA VER:1.1 printed on it, if that's any help.

#7 ·
When I do a search for ctx computers, I do not find anything other than a few forums from many years ago where someone is asking for help.

Open the case and see if the mb has a make and model silkscreened on it. You might be able to find an update that way.

FWIW I would really just go with the controller card if you must have a larger drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.