Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: bios update freezing -cmos error

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  secondangel 
#1 ·
Hi there.

Bulding a new Asus T2-r for a freind. Installed all teh componenets and turned on the pc and it booted into the bios but then it froze. I was unable to do anything.

I cleared the cmos and rebooted and it stated that cmos date settings etc were wrong and it then it froze.

Then i reboot and get a CMOS CHECKSUM BAD.
f1- setup
f2-default

however i cant press anything as its frozen.

SO i tried to use a floppy drive and flash the drive using a default bios obtained from the motherboard help cd.

However it froze during the update.
i got
floppy found. reading "p4r8t.rom"

but thats it. the drive stops whirring and i get nothing even after leaving it for 10 mins. it says in the manual DO NOT turn off the power during bios updating but i had to cos there was nothing i could do.

I know cannot boot up into the bios at all.

I took the hd out, and i also checkedk the ram and rechekced all the cables.

Has anyone got any idea at all please.

Thanks in advance you lot.

oh yeh.
its an asusu t2-r with 1 gig ram pc3200 and a p4 3.2 800fsb

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure any clock\cpu jumpers are set corectly on the mobo.
Download bios again (make sure it is the correct one)
If you can, change the ram, disconnect all hardware exept graphics, power supply and hard drive.
clear the bios using the jumpers on the mobo.
reboot and enter bios.
load failsafe defaults.
make sure hd is recognised
save & exit
Turn off
reconnect floppy drive & insert bootable floppy with the new bios on it.
Try to install it again.
If you cannot follow this procedure because of the bios freezing, return the motherboard and get a replacement. (if it is still under guarantee)

#3 ·
secondangel said:
but thats it. the drive stops whirring and i get nothing even after leaving it for 10 mins. it says in the manual DO NOT turn off the power during bios updating but i had to cos there was nothing i could do.
Hi Angel
I don't know much about flashing the bios but I do know what do you did above may have made the pc into a plantpot.

#5 ·
bought it today, and it was actually the display model so hopefully i have a leg to stand on taking it back.

it means ill have to empty it (cos its a barebones) and swap teh whole system.

poo.

#6 ·
I have seen this with asus boards in the past. Do you have any add-in controller cards installed? If so remove the card and the system will boot ok. If it has an onboard type of raid or sata controller, it often does not work when an add-in card is also installed.

#7 ·
it comes with a usb card reader at the front which is connected to the mb. i do remember initially when i first tried bootin up that it didint detect them (the cable was loose) and perhaps instead of following the route i took maybe if i had just reconnected it and rebooted (or as you say removed it) then it may have worked.

i dont have any other add in installed or slotted in.

im scared ive broke the motherboard and i wont get a replacememnt from where i got it from. ive been paid to make this pc (20 quid only as a favour) and the asus cost me £100. i dont want to fork out money for a new one.

#9 ·
crjdriver said:
Card readers should ALWAYS be disconnected during os install. If you leave it connected, you will end up with the card reader as C drive and hd as D or E or whatever.
aye but this is a built in one, via internal usb connection. already plugged in as part of the barebone system

same pc as ive got and it just set them as f,g,h,i when i did mine.

#11 ·
is it worth me buying a new battery and cheking that just in case. or not. just read the terms n conditions from the place i bought it from and they will test it to make sure it really is faulty- but it could take them a few days, meanwhile im without a pc (so is my client). hmm.

hate it when ic ant fix pcs - this is the first one of my own that ive built that has messed up. normally i just fix other friends for them.

ahum. stressful day. :(

#12 ·
1_rob_1 said:
Any hardware that can be unplugged should be before you test the mobo.
If the mobo doesnt work you should be given a replacement as soon as the shop has tested it.
aye- hoping so. thanks man. knowing them it'll take em a few days.

#16 ·
all sorted. the guy managed to flash the bios using some machine i think he said. anyways, its working so iev bought it home and ill know build the rest of it. ncie one anyway people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.