1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HagarElTerrible, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HagarElTerrible

HagarElTerrible Thread Starter

I've been trying to find an update but I'm not getting anywhere. I was linked to biosagent from the Award website and did a scan, results below. Is there even an update available?

BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    BIOS ID: 12/13/2002-I845G/ICH4-KIRIN
    BIOS Date: 20021213
    BIOS Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
    BIOS Version: ACPI BIOS Revision 1002
    BIOS Size: 262144
    Chipset: Intel 2560 rev 1
    SuperIO: NSC 360 rev 225 at port 002E
    OEM Sign-on: ACPI BIOS Revision 1002
    Motherboard Name: Sony Corporation
    Motherboard Model: PCV-RS100(UC)
    System Name: Chassis Manufacture
    System Model: US
    Base Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Base Product: KIRIN

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If there's one available it'd be from Sony, And Sony doesn't list one. What do you need to BIOS update to fix/resolve?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What Make and model is the computer?

4. HagarElTerrible

Sony Vaio PCV-RS100. The only thing I found at sony's site was old.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, and its the original update utility. Why do you think you need a BIOS update?

6. HagarElTerrible

I don't reaaly know if I do or not. I got a new 160GB WD caviar blue and it won't boot up without my old drive attached as well. I have the WD in the master plug and the old one in slave. When I turn the comp on after plugging them in, it boots the old drive and then when I restart, it boots the new drive. I tried all the jumper set ups with the WD by itself but it doesn't do anything. How can I get the new drive to run solo?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How did you install the os on the new drive; ie did you clone the old drive, clean install windows, what?

Next if you did an install of windows on the new drive, was the old drive still connected?

8. HagarElTerrible

I did an install from disk and the old drive was not connected. This is Windows XP, if that matters. And if I turn the computer off it goes to the old drive on boot up so I can only get to the new drive after I start the computer then restart it.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you enter the BIOS setup, make sure its set to boot off the new drive. Also make sure the new drive is set via the jumper on the back as Master and the old one as Slave. The Master should be at the end of the 80 wire IDE cable, not a 40 wire cable, and the Slave should be on the middle connector.

You may also have a hard drive delay in the BIOS, take a look and if you have one, enable it or increase its time.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Along with the above, if the bios is not holding your settings, you may need a new battery. These are pretty easy to change and you can buy them just about anywhere. Even walmart has 2032 batteries.

11. HagarElTerrible

I don't want the master/slave setup. I just want the new one.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, then remove the old drive and work with only the new drive. If you've cloned the old drive over properly then there should be no reason to keep the old drive in place. you still need to jumper the new drive as Master, or Single.

13. HagarElTerrible

As I said, it won't boot the disk unless I have the old drive and restart the computer. In the boot screen it only shows up when it's starting up after the reboot, any other situation it just comes up as "none" for the master drive.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then you need to verify the jumpers and possibly re-clone the drive.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, after rereading this thread I see something. You have a WD ide drive as the master. This requires a different jumper setting. WD drives have two master jumper settings;
    1 Master
    2 Master with multiple drives

You need to set it as master multiple drive if you are using both drives. Failure to do this will result in hanging while detecting drives, no drive detected, etc. Go back and make sure your jumpers are set correctly. In this case, do not use CS. Use the master/slave AND make sure you use an 80wire cable. These are color coded; blue, black, and gray ends.

If you just want the single WD drive in your system, then jumper as master and connect it to the black end of the cable [blue to mb and gray empty]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice