1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bios upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocr, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocr

rocr Thread Starter

Hi all. I have a Dell inspiron 1501 laptop. I had upgraded my bios from the Dell website and now when I switch the laptop on I get a black screen and the computer beeps 3 times then nothing. If I press enter I hear the windows start up sound but still a black screen can't see anything on the screen. Can anyone help please

2. pip22

pip22

3 beeps on an Inspiron means motherboard problem - probably the video chip is faulty since you're getting nothing on screen but you're still getting the Windows startup sound. If it was a BIOS problem (eg the BIOS update screwed up) Windows certainly wouldn't start at all, so I doubt it's the BIOS.
    My best guess is the video chip.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What was the original reason for updating the bios?

4. rocr

rocr Thread Starter

I was updating drivers and I saw the bios upgrade which it says was recommended and once I did that that's when I started getting the black screen

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you get anything on the screen during post ie splash screen or post data?

Have you tried clearing cmos on your laptop?

6. rocr

rocr Thread Starter

No I don't get anything at all just a blank screen the 3 beeps then nothing but if I press enter then I hear the windows start up

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW there is a bios recovery procedure for your laptop however try clearing cmos first.

8. rocr

rocr Thread Starter

Clearing cmos? Is that removing the button battery then replacing it? If so no I haven't tried that

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that is one way. To do this correctly, remove the main battery and make sure it is not plugged into ac pw. Now you can remove the cmos battery for at least 30min. Replace cmos battery and main battery; plug into ac pw and see if it will boot. If not, I found a recovery procedure that you can attempt.

10. rocr

rocr Thread Starter

I tried this no luck still 3 beeps then I hear windows starting up but still a blank screen.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At this point you have only two options;
    1 Send it to dell for repair or take it to a shop.
    2 Attempt a bios recovery. Here are the instructions however please note I have never tried this so I cannot tell you if it will work in your case.

Please recovery your Dell 1501 bios according to the following description.

Although those previous reports of Dell Laptop bios recovery leads me into a consideration for how to repair a bios damaged computer and also it inspires me for resolving the problem on a particular laptop DELL 1501 which is different from those reported models, it still took me lots of time to figure it out.

It is the easiest method to repair your your Dell1501 if your laptop bios damaged during flashing.

It happened to me when I was reflashing it under windows7 64-bit. I thought the reflashing stuck in there as it did not response whatever I did on the computer. So I simply unplugged the power cord and took off the battery to shut the laptop down. When I was trying to restart the laptop, the screen did light up and I could enter the bios setup menu by pressing F2, but no drive could be found to boot any operating system. It was just black screen.

I spent a whole day to do the google searching. Finally I got my laptop bios back into the right place:

1.) Firstly download your BIOS from DELL website. I already extracted original newest bios version 2.6.3.

2.) Download CRISDISK here. Run WINCRIS.EXE to create a miniDOS bootable recovery Flash disk. You have to use fat/fat32 format when you do it. I am using a Sandisk Cruzer 4g which works great. Then you need to rename the .rom file FLASHABL.ROM to BIOS.WPH and then replace the file in your bootable flash drive. Remember: the most important thing is that you’d better use windows XP to run WINCRIS.EXE. I tried this special software under windows 7 64-bit first, it seems not work at all so I inferred that this program under X64 would not fix my problem. This wasted too much time for me to go back to windows Xp before I realized it. You may try 32bit windows7 but I don’t know if it will work for you or not.

3.) Remove the battery and the AC power cord.

4.) Plug in the USB flash drive into one of the USB ports.

5.) While holding down the END key plug in the AC adapter, the only light on is the power light, but don’t worry, it will go for reflashing soon.

6.) Then release the END key when you hear the beep, the USB drive will start to be read. The LED on your flashdrive will start flashing different colors and the fan should be on loudly. You will be continuously hearing the beep sound till the flash over. It is kind of annoying but you will feel happy. The entire flashing process probably takes 1-2 minutes, be patient.

7). Eventually the laptop should automatically restart itself. If all has gone well then the DELL logo should be displayed.

12. rocr

rocr Thread Starter

Thank you so much you are a star! Got the laptop running again. The only thing that didn't work was holding down the end key so I just powered it up and it started bleeping like mad for about a min then restarted and hey presto the dell screen appeared. Once again thank you for your help

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome AND hopefully you have learned a lesson. Bios updates are NOT done unless there is a reason for doing them. While they are not difficult, an incorrect flash can lead to problems [as you have seen]

You can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the top of the page.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice