Solved: Bios?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Simon70

Hi again. You helped me solve my Nero problem a while back ( thanks again :)) and now I have another question, which I think I also have sent in before but the information I was given was too technical for me and I just couldn't proceed. Now I've decided to write in again as I still have a problem and perhaps this time I might be able to understand.

After following the procedure for booting from cd, I get no 'press any key to boot from cd' message. I read around forums and went into bios and changed the boot order so that it would boot from cd-rom but still nothing. I have one hard disk and two cd-roms. I selected cd-rom in all three boot sequence options and still windows goes ahead and starts even though I enter the XP cd in time. I have tried it many, many times.

Another weird ( for me ) thing is that the names of the drives on my pc do not appear in Standard CMOS features. The only options I have for IDE Primary Master, IDE Primary Slave etc are [none]. I don't see my cd-roms anywhere and I don't seem to be able to change anything there.

In Advanced Bios features under boot sequense I can select cd-rom to boot from but it doesn't work.

My OS is Windows XP pro sp3, my motherboard is MSI P965 Neo ( MS-7235 ) and I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor.

Please if anyone tries to help me, try to be as 'simple' as possible. All the stuff about CMOS and Advanced Bios I read off the screen. I don't really know what exactly they are.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Did you save the settings when you exit bios?
You can also bring up the boot menu by pressing f8 at reboot

Hi mate...

As you can see we have similar motherboards if not the exact same models...Well, I never had this problem you describe however I can make a safe guess on why your BIOS doesn't show your drives...This happens because the EIDE and the first SATA slots of the m/b are connected to the Jmicron drive controller and NOT to the ICH8 (BIOS) controller.

If I'm right you must have at least 2 EIDE drives and a SATA (I guess that's your primary disk) all connected to the (orange in my case) Jmicron slots (One ribbon cable with 2 drives as slave and master at the EIDE socket & one SATA cable at the orange SATA slot). Let the system boot and please post back if after the first BIOS POST screen (When your drives usually show up) another screen comes up and lists your drives under any Jmicron title.

As I said I never had the problem you're dealing with but hopefully we'll work something out with more info...:eek:

EDIT: Sorry, I did not keep things so simple...I ll not rewrite the post so more experienced people can read it and make something up. Anyway, please ask me back if you don't understand something and I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

Simon70

Thank you both for posting SO quickly!!I just came to check my mail before going off to bed and there was your reply.Thanks.

OK Bigbear yes, I do save changes before exiting and I have also tried pressing F8 but I still don't get the wretched 'press any key..." message. Thanks for your advice though.

Mosquitto, I understood 'SATA', I think I saw it somewhere. That's my hard disk, yes? Now about the Bios screens I'll switch this pc off so that I can enter Bios and be looking at it while I post back on my old pc.

Thank you both for your kindness.:)

Simon70

OK, the first screen when I enter Bios has the following list:

Standard CMOS features
Advanced Bios features
Integrated Peripherals
Power Management setup
PnP / PCI Configurations and
H / W Monitor,

If I click enter on Standard CMOS features, I have the date and time and then below that:

IDE Primary Master [none]
IDE Primary Slave [none]
IDE Secondary Master [none]
IDE Secondary Slave [none]
IDE Third Master [none]
IDE Fourth Master [none]

Drive A [none]
Halt on [All Errors] and
System Information [press enter].

If I select [none] and press enter on all IDE items above, I am taken to a page that reads:

IDE HDD Auto Detection [press enter]
IDE Primary Master [Auto]
Acces Mode [Auto].

If I click enter on [auto] of IDE PRIMARY MASTER, I have the options of 1.None 2. Auto
3. Manual. And that's about it. And this happens in ALL IDE's in CMOS.

PLEASE tell me that's what you wanted me to tell you.:) I don't see any Jmicron sign anywhere.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. :)

So bios is not recognising any drives?
With a board that recent all you should need to do is make sure pata and sata are enabled.
It might be worth also clearing the cmos

Simon70

Hi again Bigbear. How can I make sure that pata and sata are enabled? What are they? Actually don't worry about what they are, I'll probably not understand. But how can I reach the 'area' where I can see if they are enabled or not? And how can I clear CMOS? You know I have an old pc ( 8 years old ) and it's never given me these kinds of problems. With this new one I've had no end to problems. Thanks. :)

Bigbear the problem with this board is that you cannot change anything from BIOS. EVERY drive psysically connected to the Jmicron controller won't show up in BIOS. If you want your devices to show up then you have to connect them to the ICH8 SATA Slots.

Simon it would be a good idea to check the motherboard's manual for additional details regarding the layout of the SATA and IDE slots...

Regarding my previous post: Do not get into the BIOS, just let the machine boot normally. The first screen during boot (in my case) provides info about your CPU, RAM, drives etc. The second gives some info about your network controller. The third will be titled as "Jmicron stuff". Can you see any of your drives there?

Simon70

Yes, Mosquito 555 I see all three of my drives when my machine is booting. Unfortunately the shop that sold me this pc did not give me a manual for my motherboard. I guess I can find one at MSI's website? I'll have a look.

Also when you mentioned 'ribbon cables' in a previous post, were you referring to those flat plastic 'ribbon cables' that have little metal pins in them and end in oblong little plugs?

I guess I must find what the ICH8 SATA slots look like and then plug something there? But if SATA is my hard disk, then I've looked there and there are no other slots apart from the ones already being used.And how did the person who installed Windows on my pc do it? I mean if Windows are installed, how did it happen originally? All these and more interesting questions will be answered in the next episode of Bios Horror! Thanks again. :)

Oooook Simon, things are getting a little complicated now...I had myself a lot of trouble with this board and it took me a while to set it up properly. First of all let us see the basics:

You can see all 5 SATA slots (purple) and EIDE Socket (Blue). The EIDE Socket and the top SATA slot are both connected to the JMicron. I guess all your drives are connected there. Since you have 3 drives and an EIDE channel can only support 2 I assume that one is SATA. Now you can understand my previous posts. I hope the image quality is ok...

Now, about your problem. Since I haven't seen your previous thread can you please provide me with the link or repeat your problem?

Please keep in mind that your problem may not be directly connected to the Jmicron and drives not showing in BIOS. According to MSI and Jmicron this is normal. And it is pretty clear that all of your drives are connected to JMicron.

EDIT: Image not showing, go to http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P965_Neo-F&class=mb

Simon70

Hurray, victory! After staring at the picture for ... 10 whole minutes and looking at my motherboard, I have finally located the 5 SATA purple slots and the blue EIDE! THank you!:)

Now, the cable that is connected to the top purple SATA goes to my hard Hitachi drive and the bigger one connected to the EIDE socket goes to my DVD-ROM and then conitnues to my DVD-RAM. Is that how it should be? But what is Jmicron? You said they should all be connected to Jmicron.

Here is the link to my previous thread Mosquitto 555. I'm sorry I don't know how to make it 'blue' so that you can just click on it.

> http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=722680&goto=newpost

It's 01.50 in Athens and I can't keep my eyes open. I'll read your reply tomorrow.
A million thanks for your kindness Mosquito555. Good night. :)

Ok, my guess seems to be correct...Both of your drives are EIDE and your HDD is SATA. And after a search around google I found this:

"
Yeh, d00d, you can set it to boot from CD every time, but not like normal. You have to go into the boot order and change it to the custom setting for your CD-ROM. You'll see something like this:

Floppy
Hard Disk
CD-ROM
USB Floppy
USB CD
LG GSA-H22NK
Network
Other Device

The list will be quite long and you might actually have to scroll down to see your drive. The generic "CD" setting is only for SATA CD or DVD drives, but the JMicron BIOS is incorporated into the main BIOS well enough that the drive still makes the list...farther down."

Source:http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/222483-12-platinum-recognize-drives

It seems that the BIOS prevents bootable cds from booting if they are connected to the Jmicron controller. You have to add the actual drive name from the list in BIOS boot order and not the generic "cdrom" as this only applies to SATA drives.

It was also 1:50 here last night "Patrioth" that's why I respond now! If you need any specific details please PM me whenever you like!

Check if you can do that and if it fixes the issue but do not format your machine yet. I would like to give you some more info regarding the controllers before you setup XP.

Simon70

Mosquito555 you are ACE!!!! It was so simple! I hadn't noticed I could scroll down and find my drives.

I don't know how to thank you! Actually I do: If you ever come to Athens, I'll take you out for tonnes of souvlaki and wine. ( Or beer if the weather is warm ). :)

I don't want to format my pc yet. The reason I wanted to sort this 'problem out' is because sometimes at booting my pc hangs and 'verifies pool data' for ever. Whatever that is. And for a non expert when patience runs out and the problem persists, formatting seems like quite a soothing thought. :) It's ok for the time being. You see I'm the kind of person that suddenly gets up at night and raids the fridge wondering what there is to worry about. :)

Mosquito555, what is a 'Patrioth'? You mentioned that word in your last post. Where are you located? I don't know if I can ask these kinds of questions here so if it's not allowed, it's ok. I know we are in the same time zone anyway.

Will you always be here at Techguy?

Take care Mosquito555 and don't bite too many people! :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

LOL, I am from Athens actually (Well now I'm in Rethimno as a student but anyway...)!!! I just keep speaking English in the forum! I'm just stupid, I should have PMed you, we would have sorted out things much easier...:eek:

Glad I could help, I will be here if you have any questions!

EDIT: Oh I meant " Patrioti" but now I guess you understand why! :)

Simon70

Oh dear Lord! You are a student! So young and you know so much stuff! Bravo vre!!! What do you mean 'PMed me' patriwti? That was the last question for now, I promise. :)

p.s. In that case souvlaki would be too pezo for you. We'll go to a lovely little family-owned restaurant in Pangrati. Have a nice evening. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online