1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bioshock and it's shady shader

Discussion in 'Games' started by Русский, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Русский

Русский Thread Starter

So I am obtaining Bioshock for my pc. It's made out to be the best FPS to date, and I've done some reading, and behold, It uses a shader 3 and my graphics ( ATI Radeon 9600 x1050 ) only has shader 2. They say to delete 2 shader cashe files and it should fix the problem, but I have the demo, and now all it does is crash before I can even check to see if the shader fix worked. Please tell me there is something I can do OTHER than go out and buy a new Graphics Card.

Thanks in advance

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Bioshock is a Very Very high demanding game, and your video card will not even handle low settings. If you really want good fps, you'll need to get a new high end gaming computer, consider getting NVIDIA 8 series card with 512 MB GDDR3.

Go here, www.srtest.com

3. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

my gf runs it on her pixell shader 2 card (ati x850pro) i had to do some tweaking for her tho, follow these instructios:

4. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

Installation Instructions:
    1. Install Bioshock (demo or full game)
    2. Locate your installation folder
    o The default is C:\Program Files\2K Games\Bioshock\
    o For Steam, the default is C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\bioshock\
    3. Delete the ShaderCache.pcs and ShaderCache.pcs10 files from the Builds\Release\ folder.
    4. Extract the files for the current fix into the Builds\Release\ folder
    5. Follow the instructions below for Reducing Load Times (they remain between 5-10 minutes per level anyway).
    6. Play Bioshock

5. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

6. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

the loading times will be very slow tho...except between 2 and 10 mins for each level to load, this will reduce it a little

Instructions for Reducing Load Times:
    (McKack has created a batch file to automate this process which can be found here:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150626&postcount=1024

Being designed for Vista, this may or may not work with Windows XP.)
    1. Locate your Bioshock Application Data folder:
    o Start -> Run -> %appdata%/Bioshock/
    If for any reason this command doesn't get you there here are folder's location:
    o Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Bioshock\
    o Windows Vista - C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock\
    2. If there is a ShaderErrors folder there, delete it.
    3. Create an empty text file with no extension in this \Bioshock\ folder and name it "ShaderErrors". (You will need to have Hide Extensions for Known File Types turned off in Tools - Folder Options to ensure no .txt extension is created for the file.)

7. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

Ideal Graphics Settings
    From AOH Version 4 the graphics settings can be turned on and off anyway you like them.
    If you're using previous patches, be sure to have Real Time Reflection turned On and High Detail Shaders turned On.

Tips for speeding up testing
    • Use the command line switch -nointro, like executing "C:\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock\Builds\Release\Bioshock.exe" -nointro .
    • [ Tips for speeding up testing ]
    These instructions are useful for speeding up testing if you plan to be going in and out of the game often.

http://www.paolofranchini.com/shshock/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5

8. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

hope that helps....it wont have all the shades, but it runs just as quick as with out the changes (except for the loading times)

9. Русский

Русский Thread Starter

So all I need is a new Video Card, New CPU, and motherboard...thats not too bad. Any suggestions for good, but fair priced components ? I'll most likely get a core2duo and I do prefer Radeon for video, but I'm open to suggestions.

10. Русский

Русский Thread Starter

And thanks a bunch Bloochoo, I'm in the process of following your directions step by step !

11. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

:) no probs...its not ideal but itl have u playing the game in the mean time...it all comes down to money tho with what kind of system you want to buy....but it is time to upgrade from a single core and get a direct x 10 card

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/632583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice