1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Biosinfo.inf is missing or corrupt” after Upgrading XP To Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VictoriaiiCe, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe Thread Starter

Hey I'm trying to fix this error remotely. This is what happened-

Client kept ending the process while his PC was updating his xp home edition to SP3. It's not installing correctly and is stating this persons bios.inf is missing or corrupted. I had to uninstall any 3rd party software. Microsoft stated that this can occur if there is 3rd party software installed. I finally installed SP3 and got the same error. So I copied the file from my PC (I used NFTS4DOS with the extracted missing file needed and copied the missing file to the c:\windows\inf directory and that didn't work then I tried a 2nd attempt to copy this file c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\biosinfo.inf c:\windows\inf rebooted and still nothing. I will try to copy the file again but if anyone has had this issue can you give me any pointers so I don't have to reformat this persons PC.

:confused:

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

You could try using System Restore to go back before the first attempt was made to install SP3, then remove any Anti Virus programs and try the SP3 install again.

3. VictoriaiiCe

OP had restore disabled all restore points gone..:mad: Right now I'm trying to copy the file again and Windows is taking a bit to load but I think it's working -prays & crosses fingers-

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If he stopped the update process, there are probably errors galore. It would be better to try a repir installation with an XP SP3 CD (which he will need later, anyway, since after installing SP3 he will not have an OS CD to use for repairs and replacement of files).

I think he's looking at a new installation.

The best option is always to install XP SP3 directly and not to install an earlier OS like SP2 and then update. If that is not possible, then a repair installation of XP SP3 carried out on the earlier version is the most successful.

5. VictoriaiiCe

It almost came to that. Thankfully I found out the issue which is very odd since now all xp users are recommended to upgrade to SP3. This was the problem. The bios.inf file created in SP3 which did install correctly is larger then the original from SP2 all I had to do was copy the new bios file into the windows/inf folder...That shouldn't happen though an upgrade shouldn't cause any changes to windows original inf files or overwrite them..odd right? AND I had to reinstall certain windows components (windows media player) very odd. Thanks guys!! Time for a BREAK :eek:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I would imagine that many inf files are changed during the installation of service packs. There are times when drivers for devices on the original XP are not compatible with the service packs and new drivers need to be installed. Installing a major service pack is really an upgrade to a whole, new OS.

7. VictoriaiiCe

Yes but after the installation of SP3 you are required to restart then you get the error message at boot and demands a repair- all other attempts to load windows fail unless you have a copy of the file or know how to copy a file into a folder via cmd prompt. For users who aren't computer literate or some what experienced they end up losing all their data and have no choice but to re-format. I was just researching this issue. Check it out. Not all users back up their data daily...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice