1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bizarre slow startup after improper shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alexvegas, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexvegas

alexvegas Thread Starter

Hi All..

Last night in a rush to go out I shut down my computer by holding down the power button, instead of waiting for windows to close the open programs and shut down properly.

When I got back, I turned the computer on, and the boot process was severely messed up. After the animated black Windows XP screen, it goes black for a few minutes, then the blue screen that says 'windows is starting up' (or something similar) appears, but stays for another 5 or so minutes. Then, the 'Welcome' blue screen comes up but stays for even longer. When Windows finally loads, the wallpaper loads, then the desktop icons (note programs' correct icons don't show, only window default 'exe' icon), then the taskbar, but the task bar remains white and only has the start button, quick launch and clock - no other icons show.

It stays like this indefinitely, with the CPU light flashing and the computer seemingly loading. I left it on all night and it got no forther.

When in that state, anything I click on (including ctrl-alt-del) takes about 5+ minutes to do.

I tried safe mode - it took so long to load I gave up.

I tried ERD Commander - not even that would load past a blank screen with a cursor.

I tried booting from the Windows CD - the reinstall option isn't there and it doesn't spot the previous installation.

I am using Windows XP Home SP2 - Can ANYONE help? Is there a solution or do I have to format and reinstall?? Eek.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried Tapping F8 on startup and then choosing Last Known Good Configuration

3. alexvegas

alexvegas Thread Starter

Yep, it made no difference.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi try safe mode log on as administrator..if you can get there.
    At command prompt type..
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    This should launch system restore.

5. alexvegas

alexvegas Thread Starter

I solved it by running CHKDSK from the recovery console off the Setup CD. Phew, all files are intact!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/530755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice