1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BLACK SCREEN - Help pls!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lemi, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lemi

lemi Thread Starter

Hey guys,

My laptop screen misteriously started going black a few days ago. When that happens, the screen goes really dark, I can still see some window lines if I really put effort, but it is so black that I can not read anything or see where the mouse is. To remove this black screen I figured 2 ways: Either restarting my computer or closing my laptop and opening the laptop again (which makes it hibernate). Once the light is back on the monitor, all the white colors seem very pinkish for a while, then it goes away. After a minute or two, I will get the same black screen. I assume there is maybe a lightbulb or something like that in my laptop that is not working well... Anyone can help me??

Thanks in advance!

Note: About how long it takes for my screen to go black, it is purely random, I have tried to see if it was when i moved a winow, opened a program, even timed how long it takes to go black, and didnt see any pattern, it could be 1 min or 1 hour before it goes black, although, lately it is more like under 10 mins...

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's either the backlight itself or the electronic inverter powering the backlight that is failing.

In some models, the backlight is part of the screen itself, but in any case it's not a DIY unless you have the service manual, access to spares and good microsurgery skills.

3. lemi

lemi Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. So i probably need to change this blacklight?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's a "backlight", and yes, it's either the backlight or the inverter.
    On some laptops you have to change the whole LCD panel for the backlight.

Just getting it apart without cauing permanent damage is a problem, unless you have the tools, service manuals and experience.

5. lemi

lemi Thread Starter

OK thanks. I sent it to IBM, Im still on warranty :D

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Wise choice!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice