1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Black Screen

Discussion in 'Games' started by spazzo246, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spazzo246

spazzo246 Thread Starter

Hi whenever i am gaming on my custom built pc it works for the first hour or so but then all of a sudden the game freezes and the screen goes black.. whilst the screen is black it makes a noise as if the ingame sounds are repeating themselves. everythiung then becomes unresponsive and i am forced to restart to get it back to normal.
    also one more thing.. in my device manager under display adapters there is 3 listed there
    - AMD Radion hd 6800 (x2)
    - Intel R HD graphics family

Thanks

Pc specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12205 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1814 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1430695 MB, Free - 1300604 MB; E: Total - 305244 MB, Free - 98853 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z68XP-UD4
    Antivirus: None

2. Tanis

Tanis Shane

Did you build the machine yourself?

It looks like you have a dedicated graphics card (the HD6800) but your system is still using the Intel HD graphics which are the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

The problem could be heat related, could be a RAM problem, could be a power supply problem but I think we need to start by getting the graphics sorted out. If you have a dedicated graphics card then I would suggest disabling the onboard card in the BIOS so that the system doesn't even see it, that will stop any conflicts occuring between the two (which could also be part of the problem).

Exactly what make, model and wattage power supply do you have?

What is the exact make and model of the RAM?

Download and install HWMonitor, run the program then screenshot the HWMonitor window. Then, keeping HWMonitor running in the background, run a game for 5-10 minutes then exit and screenshot HWMonitor again. Post the two screenshots in a reply here or host them somewhere and post a link to them.

3. spazzo246

spazzo246 Thread Starter

OK so i diabled the on board graphics which removed it from the device manager

Power Supply - Themaltake Toughpower 875 watts TP-875AH3CC
    Ram - Corsair 4gb Vengance (thats all i could find)

HWMonitor before games[​IMG]

HWMonitor During Games[​IMG]

4. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Hi Spazzo246,

Could you please upload those images again, they don't seem to be appearing. Don't know if its just me...

I'd like to see the voltage settings for your PC. :)

5. spazzo246

spazzo246 Thread Starter

6. Tanis

Tanis Shane

Can you double check the voltages in your BIOS. Some of them are way out on HWMonitor but that could be due to the software incorrectly reading the sensor outputs, the BIOS will be accurate.

Your temperatures are pretty good, I don't see any obvious problems there.

7. spazzo246

spazzo246 Thread Starter

well it turns out one of my gigabyte graphics cards was faulty.... i tested it by taking each one out and running the pc on only one. when i took one of them out the one that was in made all these little lines on the screen, and the screen was flickering...
    thaks for all of your help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028092