1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blank laptop screen sometimes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mary883, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary883

Mary883 Thread Starter

Hi - I have a friends HP Pavillion DV6000 laptop to try and fix a problem with the screen.

Most of the time this is blank although you can see a light at the bottom so not completely dead - if you remove the battery and press the power button 60secs+ and then reconnect it will start in safe mode and go on working in safe (was on overnight running scan and was still on in the morning). Any attempt to restart in normal mode sometimes shows the windows starting logo then the blank screen.

I have tried connecting to a separate monitor which works for safe but not normal mode it again goes blank after the startup logo.

Also if you do not clear residual charge by holding down the power button the laptop is blank even in safe mode but the external screen works.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the display which makes no difference. I have also tried rolling back the driver with no change.

Not sure what to try next, if I had a completely dead screen I would be happy to replace as I have done for others but as the problem also seems to occur on the external monitor in normal mode I do not think this is the solution.

I do not currently have the disks to reload windows although I have tried a repair from the hard-drive with no success.

Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated.

2. Mary883

Mary883 Thread Starter

So I think I have sort of solved this - I reformated and reloaded Windows 7 from scratch (friend was giving laptop to husband so this needed to be done anyway) and provided the laptop is run on power not the battery it works fine.

Try and run on battery and windows starts but then the screen goes blank but the harddrive continues working. Not sure why and as the laptop will only be used in the house they are going to go with power and no battery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice