1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blank monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PE_Mac, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

My grandson has an HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr Vista 64 bit laptop. When it boots to windows, it looks fine for a few minutes, then the screen goes totally blank. An external monitor connected to it doesn't change anything, as it still goes blank.

It works fine in Safe Mode and stays on with no problems.

I hope this enough information for someone to make an educated guess as to what the problem might be.

Thanks
    Peg

2. ETech7

ETech7

In Safe Mode go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore, and restore to point in time before that issue began.

3. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

the fact that it works fine in safe mode usually means it has something to do with the display settings or the video drivers. or it could be some type of malware. all of those things won't come into play in safe mode. i would try to update the video drivers first, then lower the display resolution one setting at a time. if that doesn't work, go to security.live.com and download the ms scanner and also download malwarebytes. reboot into safe mode with networking and run both of those to see if it may be malware.

4. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

I couldn't get it to update the driver in safe mode, so rolled the driver back. It has now been on for 30 minutes and seems to be fine. Is it okay to leave it this way, or do I now need to try to update the driver for some reason?

Thanks for the help.
    Peg

5. Robsy128

Robsy128

I would update the driver if I were you, and if it's possible at all. Give it a go. If it messes around again, simply do another system restore and leave it in a working condition :)

6. Simba7

Simba7

7. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

on a side note, you can make a registry entry to allow you to install things in safe mode, not sure about updating drivers. if it works in regular mode, i wouldn't bother to update the drivers, it seems this may be the problem. if you decide to, use simba7's advice and go to the ati website, you could have a corrupted driver. good luck.

8. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

I updated the video driver as recommended. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

PegM

9. ETech7

ETech7

You are welcome.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice