1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blank Screen after Windows 7 log on; only Safe Mode works

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MikePatterson, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655D laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Computer was working like a dream and has been for about a year now, when yesterday I booted up after running Windows update, like always, logged on like normal, only to see a blank screen with only my mouse cursor. Neither Ctrl+Alt+Del nor Ctrl+Shft+Esc work to bring up the Task Manager. I am able to boot into Safe Mode just fine, but of course unable to uninstall the Windows updates to the .NET framework.

I have tried System Restore several times now, both from the Safe Mode and from the start-up recovery options accessed via F8 upon system startup. From the same menu, I have attempted Startup Repair but alas, Windows does not detect any problems (go figure, right? :cool: ).

I have ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool to check if my hardware was going bad, and upon completion, it rebooted, once again, to a blank screen after being prompted to log in. Mouse works, nothing else does. Upon pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del I am greeted with the following message after waiting roughly 5 minutes:

"The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch."

^Pressing ESC makes the message disappear along with my mouse, so that I am staring at a completely blank screen.

I am on my friend's MacBook Pro right now, I'm really hoping someone can help, but I must admit I am reluctant to think so because someone once came to this board with the seemingly exact same problem and no one here was able to help him.

Just to reiterate, I can boot up in Safe Mode, with or without Networking as well as accessing the Command Prompt. That's about all I can do. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-Mike P

Edit: Now when I do a System Restore, I get this error message when it restarts (everything else is blank unless I restart in Safe Mode): [​IMG]
    However, when I try to navigate to this location either via Windows Explorer in Safe Mode or via the Command Prompt, one can clearly see that the location doesn't exist. I am confused. :(

2. Sponsor

3. MikePatterson

I just realized this was placed in the wrong forum, it should be under Operating Systems > Windows 7. I was going to delete this thread and repost it in the appropriate forum but I am apparently unable to delete this thread, so if the admin or moderator could please move it to its appropriate location I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Moved as requested. :) Rather than waiting for a mod to happen to read your thread you can click on "Report" and request your thread moved.

In the F8 boot menu can you try "last good configuration"?

5. MikePatterson

Thank you for the quick response!

I did and no success.. however, I performed a "chkdsk /f" command running the Command Prompt as administrator in Safe Mode, aaand now it's working! I don't know why, but it has me worried about my hard drive. Everything's running great now and I can restart the computer, leave it running, and it's working fine again.

Is my hard drive messed up? :confused:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your hard drive was messed up. Whether it is now messed up only time will tell. Be a little more diligent about having current backup(s) and run disk check more often until you determine the problem was a glitch or something that is continuing.

Weekly I run chkdsk while doing my regular computing. If it finds any errors then I run chkdsk /f and respond 'y' to the question of running it during the next boot. And if any errors were found/fixed I run it again because sometimes it takes multiple tries before everything gets fixed up. But normally you'll almost never have an error unless the disk is thinking about failing.

7. MikePatterson

Alright, thanks. Luckily I backed my stuff up less than two weeks ago but good advice. I'll run chkdsk again just to make sure.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084601