1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blank screen with cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dogluver, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

After I turn on my laptop Dell starts and it says her resuming windows and then goes to a blank screen with my cursor. I removed the battery and held the power button but don't know what else to do. I don't have a restore disk. I'm running windows 7. Please help!
    Thanks

2. Lance1

Lance1

Have you tried accessing Safe Mode by tapping F8 on startup?

3. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Yes, it just told me the battery was low. I plugged it in and turned it on but had the same problem. So I think I will leave it plugged in for a little while and try again. Hope it works.

Thanks for your help.

4. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Well I tried and it didn't work. I don't know any other way to try to boot up in safe mode. Is there anything else I can try? I'm a teacher and depend on this computer for my lesson plans. So, I'm in a panic!

5. Lance1

Lance1

Try Last Known Good after tapping F8 and choose Last Known Good from the options. If that is a no go you need to backup you important data. Follow this tutorial; Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer After you have backed-up, you need to bring the system back to factory defaults. if its an older DELL, Press and hold the "Ctrl" key and press "F11" upon seeing the DELL blue bar. If its a newer DELL tap F8 on bootup and select restore my computer, I think... Or something like that. It may also give you the option to recover the system and keep all your data in place. I think this is your only option at this time.

6. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me. I had no luck so I took my laptop into work and our computer tech guy fixed the problem. He was able to get it started in safe mode. Don't know how though.

Thanks again!

7. Lance1

Lance1

Good! Glad you are up and going. Please mark the post Solved at the top of your post.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!