1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nickie, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

Hello Everyone!!!

I really need help!!! This is my problem. I recently moved and when I put my computer back together everything comes on but the monitor stays black like it is not on but it is. I've switch monitors and check all cords and cables and had no results. I've tried differnt outlets and change video cards and had no results.The systms comes on and beeps about 5 times but I do not get any visual.Help!!!!!!!1

2. Monk_

Monk_

Count the beeps, long and short they can point to the cause of the problem. Also do you know what BIOS the machine has? If not what is the make and model number?

3. Hanibal

Hanibal

are you able to boot your computer in safe mode?

does your monitor work on another computer that is knownm to work?

if you are able to boot in safe mode, you might want to check on the refresh rate. and under display properties /advanced/monitor and see what type of monitor is listed under monitor type

4. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

It will beep once long then the other 4 are short I'll send you the make and model # when I get home from work. It is a pentiumIII

5. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

The screen stays blank so I'm not able to see anything to put it in safe mode. My monitor does work on other computers.

6. Hanibal

Hanibal

i would definetly mke sure the video card is pproperly inserted in the agp slot. i had a similar problem at my friends system and it was a vide ocard not well fitted

7. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

8. Monk_

Monk_

The reference that I have for 1 long 4 short beeps is video adapter failure. Is your vid card PCI or AGP?

9. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey Nickie,
    Welcome to TSG!

Sorry to hear the your move didn't go so well. The five beeps indicate to me that something must have been loosened in the move. The first thing that I would do is open it up and take out the sound card, modem and anything else besides the video card. If these cards are causing the post errors that might be what happened. Fire up the puter and cross your fingers. If it starts, shut down and install one card at a time to find out witch one was the culprit.

If not, take out the memory sticks and reseat them. The first thing the puter checks in the POST is the memory and if it doesn't get past the memory test the video won't work. Do this with only the video card in the machine. If you have more than one memory bank, only use one stick. Try the other stick if it still don't work.

If you or your friend can tell us what the mobo manufacturer is, we can tell you what the five beeps mean. If not, look for any stickers that have a FCC number on it. If there are not any stickers, what kind of BIOS chip and what are the numbers? Report back here with the numbers. One of the people here can answer any of the questions you may have.

Do you have access to a "known good" monitor? This doesn't address the five beeps, but we might be missing something else if the monitor was damaged in the move.

Good Luck and report back!

10. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

It is PCI

11. ETS

ETS

You might try your video card in different PCI slots. Don't know the maker of your BIOS, but like Monk_ most of my sources for that beep code say "video adapter failure" as well.

12. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!!! I did have a good monitor and it did the same thing but I'm going to try the other things you mention when I get home and I'll let you know the results. Wish me luck!!!!

13. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

Okay I sure will give it a try. I really appreciate everyones help.

14. Nickie

Nickie Thread Starter

Hey Everyone!!!
    I just wanted to let everyone know my computer is back up and working!!!!! I took the modem and sound card out and there was no beeps. I found out it was the modem. I put it in a different pci slot and it also started to work. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice. I have online test to take and was running out of time. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice