[SOLVED] blank screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Hello Everyone!!!

I really need help!!! This is my problem. I recently moved and when I put my computer back together everything comes on but the monitor stays black like it is not on but it is. I've switch monitors and check all cords and cables and had no results. I've tried differnt outlets and change video cards and had no results.The systms comes on and beeps about 5 times but I do not get any visual.Help!!!!!!!1
 
Joined
Sep 7, 2001
Messages
702
Count the beeps, long and short they can point to the cause of the problem. Also do you know what BIOS the machine has? If not what is the make and model number?
 
Joined
Oct 4, 2001
Messages
41
are you able to boot your computer in safe mode?

does your monitor work on another computer that is knownm to work?

if you are able to boot in safe mode, you might want to check on the refresh rate. and under display properties /advanced/monitor and see what type of monitor is listed under monitor type
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Originally posted by Nickie
Hello Everyone!!!

I really need help!!! This is my problem. I recently moved and when I put my computer back together everything comes on but the monitor stays black like it is not on but it is. I've switch monitors and check all cords and cables and had no results. I've tried differnt outlets and change video cards and had no results.The systms comes on and beeps about 5 times but I do not get any visual.Help!!!!!!!1
It will beep once long then the other 4 are short I'll send you the make and model # when I get home from work. It is a pentiumIII
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Originally posted by Hanibal
are you able to boot your computer in safe mode?

does your monitor work on another computer that is knownm to work?

if you are able to boot in safe mode, you might want to check on the refresh rate. and under display properties /advanced/monitor and see what type of monitor is listed under monitor type
The screen stays blank so I'm not able to see anything to put it in safe mode. My monitor does work on other computers.
 
Joined
Oct 4, 2001
Messages
41
i would definetly mke sure the video card is pproperly inserted in the agp slot. i had a similar problem at my friends system and it was a vide ocard not well fitted
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Originally posted by Hanibal
I'm pretty sure it's not the video card I've check it several times but I'll get someone else to look at it to make sure it is in. They may see something I don't.
 
Joined
Sep 7, 2001
Messages
702
The reference that I have for 1 long 4 short beeps is video adapter failure. Is your vid card PCI or AGP?
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
1,100
hey Nickie,
Welcome to TSG!

Sorry to hear the your move didn't go so well. The five beeps indicate to me that something must have been loosened in the move. The first thing that I would do is open it up and take out the sound card, modem and anything else besides the video card. If these cards are causing the post errors that might be what happened. Fire up the puter and cross your fingers. If it starts, shut down and install one card at a time to find out witch one was the culprit.

If not, take out the memory sticks and reseat them. The first thing the puter checks in the POST is the memory and if it doesn't get past the memory test the video won't work. Do this with only the video card in the machine. If you have more than one memory bank, only use one stick. Try the other stick if it still don't work.

If you or your friend can tell us what the mobo manufacturer is, we can tell you what the five beeps mean. If not, look for any stickers that have a FCC number on it. If there are not any stickers, what kind of BIOS chip and what are the numbers? Report back here with the numbers. One of the people here can answer any of the questions you may have.

Do you have access to a "known good" monitor? This doesn't address the five beeps, but we might be missing something else if the monitor was damaged in the move.

Good Luck and report back!
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Originally posted by Monk_
The reference that I have for 1 long 4 short beeps is video adapter failure. Is your vid card PCI or AGP?
It is PCI
 

ETS

Joined
Oct 13, 1999
Messages
972
You might try your video card in different PCI slots. Don't know the maker of your BIOS, but like Monk_ most of my sources for that beep code say "video adapter failure" as well.
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Originally posted by anglin_fool
hey Nickie,
Welcome to TSG!

Sorry to hear the your move didn't go so well. The five beeps indicate to me that something must have been loosened in the move. The first thing that I would do is open it up and take out the sound card, modem and anything else besides the video card. If these cards are causing the post errors that might be what happened. Fire up the puter and cross your fingers. If it starts, shut down and install one card at a time to find out witch one was the culprit.

If not, take out the memory sticks and reseat them. The first thing the puter checks in the POST is the memory and if it doesn't get past the memory test the video won't work. Do this with only the video card in the machine. If you have more than one memory bank, only use one stick. Try the other stick if it still don't work.

If you or your friend can tell us what the mobo manufacturer is, we can tell you what the five beeps mean. If not, look for any stickers that have a FCC number on it. If there are not any stickers, what kind of BIOS chip and what are the numbers? Report back here with the numbers. One of the people here can answer any of the questions you may have.

Do you have access to a "known good" monitor? This doesn't address the five beeps, but we might be missing something else if the monitor was damaged in the move.

Good Luck and report back!
Thanks for the info!!! I did have a good monitor and it did the same thing but I'm going to try the other things you mention when I get home and I'll let you know the results. Wish me luck!!!!
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Originally posted by ETS
You might try your video card in different PCI slots. Don't know the maker of your BIOS, but like Monk_ most of my sources for that beep code say "video adapter failure" as well.
Okay I sure will give it a try. I really appreciate everyones help.
 

Nickie

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Messages
8
Hey Everyone!!!
I just wanted to let everyone know my computer is back up and working!!!!! I took the modem and sound card out and there was no beeps. I found out it was the modem. I put it in a different pci slot and it also started to work. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice. I have online test to take and was running out of time. THANKS AGAIN!!!!
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top