Solved: blank screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tiredmom888

I am using windows XP and I shut my computer down and when I turned it back on a little while ago the monitor comes on with color logo then it's blank with just a flashing cursor in top left corner. Before this I had downloaded just pictures off my camera and the comuter was real slow and I got mad and shut it off with the button on the front and not the proper way.. Please help before my husband finds out. He'll kill me.

HELP MOnica:confused:

HCD

Reboot the computer and press F8 repeatedly until you get a black screen with a load of writing on it. Using the arrow keys on keyboard - move cursor till the "last known good configuration" is highlighted and the press the Enter key. Post back if this doesn't work.

HCD

Reboot in same manner (using F8) and then move cursor to start in Safe Mode....and press Enter

tiredmom888

nope, I used the space bar and the arrow keys and it won't move, so I hit enter anyway but nothing. I can do ctl, alt, delete and cursor goes away the monitor reboots with the inte inside pent 4 logo the the blinking cursor again

HCD

If you have the computer's XP installation disk you need to try and check the hard disk as the shutdown has knocked out some critical files.

You need to reboot with the XP installaton CD in the cd/dvd drive and go to the Recovery Console. (Run the disk checking utilty). At the prompt type in chkdsk /r and then press enter
Once it has completed reboot, does it boot ok after that?

HCD

If the disk is an OEM disk (it will tell you on disk) - then skip the above - post back if you don't have disk/know what to do... as unsure on your experience level.

No response for 40 mins - let me know how you got on

HCD

Should have said - but there's a space between chkdsk and /r - sorry. If you tried it using a space, then repeat - but just type in chkdsk.

tiredmom888

ok, I am at work right now, but I typed in chkdsk/r, no spaces, so do I put "chkdsk/r" or "chkdsk /r" or just "chkdsk" I originally put no space just like you had it. I don't know if the respose it gave had a dash. That might have been my mistake in typing. As you can tell, I am not real educated on this, but my husband will kill me when he finds out. Thanks for your time. I will do what ever you tell me too when I get home after 5pm. Thanks

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Type CHKDSK /R (with a space before /R) then press Enter.

tiredmom888

ok, just got home and I did as you said and it still says invalid switch - /R, so I did it again with just CHKDSK the hit enter and it gave me volume serial # and a several lines of info such as bytes total disk avail, bytes in 26 user files, bytes avail on disk, bytes in ech allocation unit, so on, Is there still hope,

tiredmom888

PLEASE, could you at least tell me THE end, it's over or let me keep checking and see if there is anything else. I didn't want to tell my husband until I knew for sure. He won't kill me but it will be HE__ for me for a couple of days.....PLEASE HELP

Try unplugging your computer for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. If you have another monitor, swap them out and see if you get a signal. Is the fan on the computer turning on when you hit the power switch? Is the computer doing anything at all when you hit the power switch?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online