1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Blinking light on cd/ r will not stop.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by antennaman, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antennaman

antennaman Thread Starter

I had a power failure and when I turned my pc back on the light located under the cd/recorder will not stop blinking. The cd will not open and the icon at the bottom of the moniter has a "no sign" across it. I am running windows me and I have a dell L700cx pc. I have tried disconnecting the power and let it sit over night but it still does the same thing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you say icon at the bottom of the monitor......are you able to load windows and get to the desktop? Do you mean the icon in the lower right hand corner?

3. antennaman

It is the icon in the bottom right of the screen. I can load Windows ME just fine. The little yellow light just under the cd/r tray keeps blinking and the tray will not open. Thanks for taking time to help me.

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. antennaman

Deleted recent files. No help. Before I reboot was wondering if I will lose my files I have stored? Also discovered when I tried to shut my computer down it would not shut off. I get a black screen with a little white blinking "minus sign" in the upper left hand corner. Yellow blinking light contunues to blink just below my cd/r tray. This ain't my day!!

6. slipe

slipe

Do you have a CD in the recorder? Was it formatted? If so, the likely problem is that it lost the table of contents for the CD during the power loss. Try opening Windows Explorer, right click on the drive and select “Eject”.

7. antennaman

Okay tried that. It would not open. I did get it open by sticking a pin in the little hole to the left of the eject button. It had no CD in it.

8. Dan O

Dan O

I recommend you check if it is a hardware problem. Boot with a Windows 98 Startup diskette and select CD support to test it, which you can get from WWW.Bootdisk.com

9. antennaman

First thanks for your help Dan. I downloaded that boot info from the site you recommended and my computer says the file already exists. If I reboot will that lose info on my computer such as mp3 music downloads? I would also like to add this info. When I click on that cd/r icon with the "no sign" across it at the right side bottom of my moniter, I get this message: "Adaptec Direct CD wizard, no supported CD-R/CD-RW drive!" I thought this might be a key to solving my problem.

10. ~Candy~

Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....go to the startup tab and uncheck Adaptec EZ CD, then restart the computer. Does the cd drive work now?

11. antennaman

Thanks AcaCandy for your help. Did that procedure. Did not have EZ CD but did have Adaptec CD. Did uncheck it, restarted, and CD/R icon at the bottom of the right hand side dissappeared but blinking light still is blinking and cd tray will not eject. This must be a weird problem. Too early for beer her but seriously thinking about it.

12. ~Candy~

Let's see what else is starting......

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all,edit, copy and come back and paste......

As for the beer, it's gotta be noon somewhere :)

13. antennaman

Got down to the "copy" part but did not know what you meant by "come back and paste." I am a novice in computer stuff.

14. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

antennaman,

Just click on the Post Reply button and paste what you copied here in this thread.

15. antennaman

To all the "great people" that took time to rack their brain and help me. My hat is off to you! The blinking light if off!!!!!!!! I was just about to get my bb gun and shoot it out. I guess now I can go back into msconfig part and check my adaptec cd in the start up tab to get it to load again at the bottom of the right hand side of my moniter? THANKS AGAIN!! Now where is that beer??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice