1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blinking monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John_B, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

I know there have been posts on this subject before but none similar to mine.
    Having recently purchased a Samsung 2693HM monitor and using DVI input, when the resolution is wound up to 1920 x 1200 every now and then the monitor screen will go blank for a second, timing is quite random. I know it is not the monitor or cable as have experienced the problem with another (two) monitors only not nearly so severly as they would not display the same resolution. I have now wound the resolution down and the problem has ceased. Interestingly it doesn't happen when using an analog connection but at high resolution that is terrible.

Although everything points to the graphics card is it possible that the 350W power supply may be a cause? The system is fairly well loaded.
    The computer consists of MS-7246 (Intel 975X Platinum) MB
    Saphire X1600 Pro 512Mb graphics card PCI-E
    Two Serial HD
    Several printers and 2 DVD drives and one USB DVD drive, two external USB HD

I think I shall have to get a new graphics card but some of the new ones seem extremely power hungry so a new power supply looks inevitable unless anyone can suggest a decent graphics card that is greener. I do not use the PC for games but do use CAD & graphics programmes that are probably fairly demanding.
    There is of course the possibility that someone may know the cause of the problem and suggest a solution that doean't require any hardware mods. Although I have tried rolling back the drivers and got rid of the ATI catalist programme (does anyone use that?).

I think I have probably answered my own question but any suggestions welcome.

2. casper0191

casper0191

Well have you checked the monitor's resolution capabilities if you are using DVI connection. I think you should review the product to see if what it's limitations.

3. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

Monitor capabilities copied off web site so is to the job.
    Samsung SM2693HM 26" TFT Monitor 1920x1200 3000:1 400cd/m2 5ms VGA/DVI/HDMI Speakers Glossy Black 3 Years Onsite Warranty.

4. casper0191

casper0191

Not what I meant. I mean was is there any thing the over view of it tells how much of a resolution of pixels it can support?

5. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

6. casper0191

casper0191

Os it means it's already hitting the full capabilities which some time shows some problems. which become more worst when it's building up heat. Try to see if adjust the video card's set up might do some trick.

7. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

Turning the video card down to 1600 x 1200 resolves the problem but 1600/1200 = 1.33
    giving a distorted ratio 1920/1200=1.6 Unfortunately there are not any equivalent ratios to choose.
    However I have ordered a 600W power supply and a new graphics card which I hope will resolve the problem. There is not much point having a large monitor if you can't use it properly. Thanks.

8. casper0191

casper0191

Wait why did you end up on changing your power supply?

9. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

My power supply is only 350W and the graphics card I purchased is a Saphire HD 4670. They recommend a power supply of at least 400W to run this card. As I already have two hard drives and DVD drives I thought I ought to upgrade rather than risk meltdown.

10. casper0191

casper0191

Hm... alright then do it but why only 400 why don't you aim for more higher like 500 wats.

11. rfxcasey

rfxcasey

What was the refresh rate set at when you had it at 1900x1200? Try setting it for 1900x1200 with the refresh rate something besides what it is now, between 70 and 60hz and see what happens. Try setting it to the refresh rate of the lower res that worked fine.

12. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

They said "at least 400W", I bought one rated at 600W.
    Currently I am using a resolution of 1776 x 1000 and 30Hertz interlaced refresh rate, that is the only option at this resolution and if set to 1920 x 1200 then 60Hertz is the only option.
    However new parts should arrive today which I hope to fit this evening. With a bit of luck it may still work when I have finished! I'll let you know.
    Thanks.

13. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

New graphics card and power supply installed - problem solved. I guess the old card couldn't handle the resolution.
    Thanks.

14. casper0191

casper0191

New graphic card huh? So it means it been a video card problem? Have you tried to observe if only installing a new power supply did do anything before you changed the video card?

15. John_B

John_B Thread Starter

It did occur to me that it could just have been the power supply but I didn't try just the new power supply to find out so cannot be sure.
    I would guess though that the old X1600 Sapphire card just couldn't handle the 1920 x 1200 resolution but it was odd that it worked on an analogue input but not DVI without blinking.
    I was amused to read that this new DH-4670 card can operate at over "9 giga flops" I haven't a clue what a giga flop is so I'll take their word for it. I expect passionate gamers out there know all about giga flops. I'm just pleased it works well and text looks very sharp. I am sure my CAD software will probably benefit as well.
    Thank you very much for all your support.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice