1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: blipping (?) noise when on web

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 1ets, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

While I am surfing or browsing, I receive an irritating noise when I change screens:mad:
    or click for new site. I have checked all wav files on my PC but cannot find it to delete. Any advice ?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You can set the sound for the Start Navigation sound byte to "None". Or, any other sound in the list but that would still be irritating....so.....
    Open the system Control Panel and click on "Sounds and Multimedia".
    In the Sounds tab, look under the Windows Explorer section and click on "Start Navigation". Under Name:, you will usually see start.wav which is the clicking sound. Replace the text "start.wav" with "(None)" and hit OK. You find the "None" way up at the beginning of the big list when you click the little black drop down arrow next to the sound line....click on "None" and it will load into the line where Start.wav was....click OK and you are done.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Just a question...

Are you using Google's tool bar and Pop up Blocker?

4. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

No sir, only google program is Google Earth and the noise preceded my installation of that program. Thanx for the effort

5. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

Many thanx for the effort but.......the sound I refer to is a loud "blooping" sound not a mere ticking sound. To be sure, I followed you advice but no joy.

I have checked every wav file on my pc and cannot locate it. Possibly in Windiows Explorer ???

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

A few more questions...

What Operating system?

Are you running any pop up blockers or tool bars (ie:yahoo etc...)?

And are you running any special themes?

7. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

XOP, No, No.

None of the above

8. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

Sorry, Should read XP not XOP

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

If you are using Internet Explorer with XP Service Pack 2 there is a built in pop-up blocker. You may also want to check your to see if your anti-virus and/or firewall program has pop up blocking enabled.

Rollin

10. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

Checked XP popup blocker and sound was turned off. I further turned popup blocker off And still got the sound. I have also checked AVG and find no record of a popup blocker.
    I'm running out of things to check. I hope you have some further advice.

Thanx for your efforts.

11. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

My problem is solved. I switched from windows explorer to Mozilla Firefox and voila, no more noises.

Many thanx to all who tried to help

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice