1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Block internet access

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jessica8, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jessica8

Jessica8 Thread Starter

Hi,

I like to try all kinds of new software. I usually don't end up buying it because it's to expensive for me so I just install it for evaluation.

The problem is that now all software "calls home" and track my use of it. I don't like this. So I disconnect from the internet by unplugging my network cable while installing or using this software.

But this is inconvenient. I would like a more convenient solution. In my search I came across a box called "The Internet Switch" that supposedly does this but it's bulky and doesn't work anyway when I am on WiFi.

Do you know of a program or piece of software that does what I want?

Please don't ask me to do this through my Windows firewall because it's useless for this purpose. First, the spy on me just like that software that I try. Second, most of the evaluation software knows how to workaround those personal firewalls. I need something that really works.

Do you know of a program or piece of software that does what I want?

Thanks.
    J

2. midders

midders Account Closed

You could try Sandboxie to run programs in isolation.

I disagree that software firewalls are useless for your purposes; about all that they are good for is preventing outgoing communications by unauthorised programs; the incoming stuff should be left to a hardware firewall/router. I recommend Comodo Personal Firewall (now part of Comodo Internet Security but installable individually) this also includes defense+ which monitors what applications try to do locally in terms of communicating with other applications in a possibly unsafe/unauthorsied manner.

If you're really worried, download microsoft virtual PC and test out all your programs in a virtual environment.

Slainte

midders

3. johnny9823

johnny9823

The other day, when I was purchasing a different app from softwarecandy.com, I am across a product that looks like what you are describing:

http://www.softwarecandy.com/shop/downloads/block-internet-access

I almost bought it for myself out of curiosity but at the end I didn't. If this works for you please let us know. I might download a copy for myself.

4. Jessica8

Jessica8 Thread Starter

Thanks midders and johnny. I ended up buying the little program that johnny referred me to. I didn't know about it. It does exactly what I want which means it comes on top of the firewall so those spyware that know how sneak through the firewall can't "call home" because there is no Internet at all :D

midders your idea about Sandboxie or Virtual PC is great but it's an overkill and doesn't really fit into my current setting. Thanks anyway.

J

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice