1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Block senders list

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dipsy, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dipsy

Dipsy Thread Starter

Hi folks
    I have AVG full version and wish to import my blocked senders list from OE email account. I have tried following the AVG instructions but got lost on the way. I ended up with a file on my desktop that is full of digital stuff DUH! Can someone please tell me in plain english , step by step, how to transfer the list from OE blocked senders list to the AVG Blocked senders email list ?? It says create text file ?? How ?? Dont forget I am computer dumb LOL

2. kuzhanthaivelu

kuzhanthaivelu

In that list how many contacts are added in that block sender list?

3. Dipsy

Dipsy Thread Starter

Hi there are approximately 500 in list

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I couldn't find the AVG instructions on how to import so I don't know what they need. Are the instructions online, or in the programs help file?
    If you can post a link to the instructions, or the instructions themselves that would help.

Hopefully it shows the format AVG wants, i.e., does AVG just need a plain text file with a list of addresses/domains, one per line? Or delimited text, comma/tab/something else? Do the values need to be quoted?, etc

OE stores it's Blocked Senders list in the Registry, so you have to export the keys. With 500 names it's would be quite a job to convert that to just a list of addresses by hand, but not too hard to do with a batch file.

If you have multiple identities, do you need to keep them separate?
    Do you need to keep Mail and News lists separate?

Jerry

5. kuzhanthaivelu

kuzhanthaivelu

Dipsy,

The problem was solved or not.

6. Dipsy

Dipsy Thread Starter

Hi Jerry,
    The only way I know to access the instructions is by right clicking the AVG icon - open-components-anti spam-tools-advanced settings-then click the +next to anti spam in the dropdown -then click BLACKLIST. After that I am lost. I think it needs a text file but dont know how to acquire a copy from my OE blocked senders list.I have 2 email addys but both come in together in OE At this time there is nothing in the AVG blocked senders list and I am getting heaps of spam GRR!

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This batch file will read the Outlook Express blocked senders addresses from the registry for each Identity, and save them into a text file on the desktop.
    OE also keeps a separate list for News groups, those will be read as well if they exist.
    The file contains a TAB character which can't be copied off the forum so I've attached it as a zip file as well, or you can copy then edit the line after the red comment.
    Just place the file in any folder, double click, and the files will be created on your desktop

The file(s) will be named IdentityName-Mail-Block Senders.txt and IdentityName-News-Block Senders.txt
    Each Identity may have both, or only one of the above files.
    Code:
    @Echo Off
    SetLocal
    [COLOR=Red][B]:[/B]: The following line is a single tab after the equals sign.
    :: If copied off the Web, you'll need to edit that line manually[/COLOR]
    Set _TAB=    
    Set _RK=HKCU\Identities
    Set _BR=Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
    Set _BS=Block Senders
    Set _MC=%_BS%\Mail\Criteria
    Set _NC=%_BS%\News\Criteria
    :: Loop through Identities
    For /F "Tokens=3 Delims=\" %%I In ('Reg Query %_RK% ^|Find "\{"') Do (
      For /F "Tokens=2* skip=4 Delims=%_TAB% " %%J In ('Reg Query %_RK%\%%I /v Username') Do (
        Reg Query "%_RK%\%%I\%_BR%" |Find /I "%_BS%" >Nul
        If NOT Errorlevel 1 (
        If EXIST "%Userprofile%\Desktop\%%K-????-%_BS%.txt" Del "%Userprofile%\Desktop\%%K-????-%_BS%.txt"
          For /F "Tokens=2* Delims=%_TAB% " %%A In ('2^>Nul Reg Query "%_RK%\%%I\%_BR%\%_MC%" /s ^|Findstr /I "Value\>"') Do Echo %%B>>"%Userprofile%\Desktop\%%K-Mail-%_BS%.txt" 
          For /F "Tokens=2* Delims=%_TAB% " %%A In ('2^>Nul Reg Query "%_RK%\%%I\%_BR%\%_NC%" /s ^|Findstr /I "Value\>"') Do Echo %%B>>"%Userprofile%\Desktop\%%K-News-%_BS%.txt" 
        )))

Not sure how to get the list into AVG, maybe you can just copy and paste the list out of the text file this creates.

HTH

Jerry

Attached Files:

8. Dipsy

Dipsy Thread Starter

WOW thank u Jerry, I just clicked run and the 2 files were there on my desktop. Just one more question Do I import them both to AVG blocked senders or just the blocked senders list . Thank you for your help and patience. Its a bit difficult when I have no computer lessons, so rely on what you good people tell me in here . Once again thank you , you are a gentleman

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Not quite clear on this; the two files, are they both the same name except one has Mail and one has News?
    For example, on my system I get 3 files, as I have 2 Identities configured. One does not have any senders in the blocked list for news:
    Main Identity-Mail-Block Senders.txt
    Main Identity-News-Block Senders.txt
    Test Identity-Mail-Block Senders.txt

If you've added different names to the lists for news and mail, you would need to add both. It's possible the files have the same names; in OE when you add a sender to the Blocked list, you have the option of make it mail, news, or both.
    If you always chose both, the files are likely identical, but the names might not be in the same order. All depends on when they were selected for each list.
    You can just check the list in OE, should be easy to scroll through the list and see if any names are not checked for both Mail and News. If they all are, the files are identical and you only need to use one of them.

If the Identity names are different, the lists are likely different, so you'd want to add both.

I'm not sure how AVG handles duplicate names -- it may detect them, or it may just let you enter them. Duplicates won't hurt anything, but they will take a bit longer to process the list.

Jerry

10. Dipsy

Dipsy Thread Starter

Hi Jerry,
    Wish there was some way I could send u my email addy then I could send u pics of the files LOL, but ok here goes. One file is named Blocked senders notepad 1 and has Windows registry editor version 5.00 as the first entry then lots of key locations and then Heaps of numbers. the second has my email name - - - - - - - - - mail- blocksenders-notepad and the there are all the blocked email addies. I opened my OE blocked senders list and none are checked for news .

Bob

Friends are there when you need them

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can attach screen shots. Click Go Advanced under the Quick Reply window, then either click the paper clip icon at the top of the edit window, or scroll down a bit and click Manage Attachments.

Is the -notepad part of the file name?
    The batch file will name them like this:
    It will have the Notepad icon, but Notepad shouldn't be part of the file name. If you have your system set to hide file extensions, you won't see the .txt part
    So if your Identity name is your email name then it should be this:
    EmailName-Mail-Block Senders.txt.
    If none are checked for news, then it would have only created the one file with Mail in the name.

The first one you mention sounds like a standard registry file exported from regedit but saved as a text file. Is this perhaps the one you created earlier:
    So just use the one that is just the plain list of addresses.

HTH

Jerry

12. Dipsy

Dipsy Thread Starter

Hi Jerry ,
    I now have all the blocked senders in my AVG spam file Thank you for your patience and help, your instructions were great . It confirms my opinion that there are still good people in this world. Thank you once again and may you have a great day. By the way I dont know where you are in this world but I am in Australia thank you bye Bob

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're welcome.

Perhaps the location info on the right side of this post would be a clue.;)
    Not everybody fills it in on their profile, and many often forget it's there (myself included)

Jerry

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice