1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Blocked" Startup Programs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by coover, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coover

coover Thread Starter

I have two programs that I would like to start when I boot my computer that are blocked. The two programs, Karen's Replicator, and Dimension 4, are not dangerous, and there seems to be no good reason why the operating system would block them. I can, of course, start them manually, but I am quickly tiring of doing so.

When the computer is booted, I get a notification that the programs are blocked. There is, of course, an option to start them. There is also a "Help" option. When I go to that option, I find that there seems to be no way to actually stop the blocking, to give the machine permission to start these programs without any intervention from me. I find this incredulous!

There must be some way to keep the machine from blocking these programs. Has anyone come up with a solution?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. coover

coover Thread Starter

Wow!

Thanks AcaCandy. It worked!

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You're welcome :)

Happy 4th of July :)

You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS DROP DOWN MENU above.

I just had the same issue with my outdoor camera program being blocked :D This morning no less :D

5. staticroot

staticroot

Hi there,
    I, too, have a startup program that gets blocked when I change it's privilege level to 'run as administrator'. So, while disabling UAC does the trick for a single user who knows how to keep his/her machine running well, it's not generally an option for me, as I'm a system administrator for multiple businesses, and utilizing vista's security features is very beneficial for me. (can't stand programs that force all users to be complete admins on their workstation).

So, my solution was to create a task in the task scheduler that called on my particular program during logon and let it run with highest privileges.

To accomplish this:

1 - open task scheduler from Accessories>system tools (or type 'task scheduler from search field above the vista start button and hit enter)
    2 - over in the right side of the task scheduler window, click 'create task'
    3 - type a name for your startup task in the window that pops up
    4 - check "run with highest privileges" down under the 'security options' section
    5 - go to the 'triggers' tab and click 'new' to create a new trigger
    6 - from the drop-down menu, choose 'at log on'
    7 - choose 'specific user', click 'change user or group' and type the username.
    8 - *optional, but cool - I've delayed my program for 1 minute to let some hoggy sidebar crap startup first by checking 'delay task for' and choosing 1 minute from the drop-down
    9 - now move to the 'actions' tab, choose 'start a program' and browse to the program you would like to start when you log on to windows.

Additionally, you'll want to make sure that this program isn't being launched with the registry or your startup folder. I've had to remove the entry for my particular program from:
    HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice