Solved: Blocking Specific Website

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Radiojoe315

There are two websites I want to block my kids from accessing on my computer. I dont want to buy a whole computer "watch guard" software or anything, its not worth it. I use Firefox/IE (firefox more so), and just need to find out how I block these two websites?

You can use your hosts file and add the sites you want to block to it.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Like to block ads from doubleclick you add the line...

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

Then for others sites you do the type of thing.
127.0.0.1 badsite.com
127.0.0.1 badsite.net
127.0.0.1 www.badsite.com
127.0.0.1 www.badsite.net

Some sites that you want to block you may have to block it more then one way like the 4 badsites I posted.

You can get a hosts file manager too if you want to block out a whole lot more and block out lots of bad sites, ads etc.

I use Hostman http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/ and it works great. Your want to password protect it so your kid can not change it. Your also want to change the setting so it does not show up in the system tray.

excellent as always hewee, hostsman worked perfectly for me, and as you know, I am not a techie.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online