Solved: Blue screen "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

invain

I've recently had problems with a virus, which I think may be a smitfraud, and I keep getting the blue screen of death when I to do certain things. When windows defender tries removing the infected file, as well as when I try to use system resore, Vista crashes to a blue screen with this message:

"A driver has over-run a stack-based buffer. This over-run could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine"

I found this: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797143.aspx but have no clue how to "Use the kb (Display Stack Backtrace) debugger command to get a stack trace." I'm sure this is related to my virus problems, as it all started at the same time.

Let's see if we can identify the driver

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non-system driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

>> Also, If the system was stable for a time after removing the virus you might want to give System Restore a try from Safe Mode.The only difference here is that a new restore point is not created in the process to return to.

You do NOT want to choose a date when the virus was known to be present.

invain

Here's the files. All of them are from today.

I also did try doing system restore from safe mode, still got the same blue screen.

Attachments

Virtually all but the last one say "unknown image" analysis "inconclusive"

But the last one calls out a SATA driver as the "probable cause".

BugCheck F7, {0, 4a27, ffffb5d8, 0}

Probably caused by : dump_iaStor. ( dump_iaStor+91d44 )

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=Pr0&q=dump_iaStor+&btnG=Search

I don't see anything wrong in the scanlog.

We don't really want duplicate threads here, but I will leave it open for the time being.

Try updating or reloading your SATA drivers.

Also do you have any external drives connected to this system through a USB hub ?

invain

Thanks.

I'll try running some more scans and maybe do a memory check as well. I'll try updating the SATA drivers tomorrow. If worse comes to worse maybe I'll try cleaning it out and re-plugging stuff back in.

invain

Quick questions - what's the quickest way to find out what chipset my computer is using? I don't have my computers manual with me.

See if you can run msinfo32

You might be able to figure it out with that.

Look at the conflicts/sharing list. It's there on mine.

hiya i am having the same trouble as invain. i have tried to find the %systemroot% file u mention but am not able to locate it. I am running vista, could u hlep please??

thanks

I am seeing a lot of these F7 STOP messages in the last 2 days.

Jon -- post a HijackThis scanlog in your own thread -- I think it probably belongs in the Security forum and I will move it there:

invain

I downloaded the latest SATA drivers but right at the end of the installation I got the same blue screen error message as before.

Upload the new minidump.

This is looking more like a malware issue now since I've seen so many of these F7 issues in the last few days. Both Vista and XP.Can't even remember running across one before.

I see you've got Cookiegal helping you now. You can't do any better than that. :)

invain

I just got two more random blue screens. One after trying to watch a video on abc.com, and another immediately after I logged in on the restart from the first blue screen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online