1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue screen and can't boot to safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mbrody1234, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbrody1234

mbrody1234 Thread Starter

I receive a message- unmountable_Boot_Volume and have a blue screen-- Tech info: Stop: 0X000000EP, 0XC0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000. I tried to go to safe mode but the blue screen comes up- The message tells me to go to safe mode and disable caching or shadowing in the bios- But F8 will not work
    I ran IDE Disk tests with f12 on reboot- system passsed but i had three error blocks on Read test --Msg- 0F00:0244-- block 6317014, 106919080, 145862149
    Verify test- Msg-0F00:1A44 and the same blocks failed

Any Ideas?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may have an irrepairably damaged file system or partition table -- but you need to run chkdsk /r on the drive.

To do this you will have to boot to the recovery console. If you have an XP CD, it will get you there.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP

I think the error parameters and your info about "bad blocks" suggest the drive data may not be recoverable by normal methods.

You should really get a drive vendor's diagnostic and repair utility and see what it can do.

3. mbrody1234

what is a drive vendor's diagnostic and repair utility- is that a program i purchase?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No, just determine the manufacturer of your drive (Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate, etc...) -- then go to their site and look for "diagnostic" utilities for that drive type. They all have freebees. You will need to run it from a floppy disk in most cases.

5. mbrody1234

I was able to boot with the XP Cd and perform chkdsk /r ---worked fine-- the system seems a little slow now-- I downloaded Belarc which analized my components for me to get a name-- the hard drive is a seagate so I will get the utility- Belarcs program told me that the hard drive has "SMART" and is" healthy"
    Should I perform fixboot also? even though the system boots ok now?
    I did not have to Defrag after I analized with system tools

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No, no need for fixboot at this stage I think. You were lucky to get it back with chkdsk.

If you open the Device Manager (run sysdm.cpl > Hardware > Device Manager) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

7. mbrody1234

Transfer mode is DMA

8. mbrody1234

I did a DST from the seagate site-- Dell wants to replace the hard drive-- I tried to do a backup of the entire system but it failed- I can backup individual files- to a hard drive-- I heard you can ghost a drive? - Should i do that if I have bad files?

Primary IDE Channel : ST380021A

Model: ST380021A

Serial Number: 3HV2V8D7

Capacity: 80.02 GB

Test result: Self-test routine completed with a S.M.A.R.T. alert error!

The Drive Self-Test has determined that the drive may have one or more failing sectors. Please run SeaTools Desktop for additional information about this problem.

Any drive reporting a S.M.A.R.T. error should be considered likely to fail at any time. You should back up your data from any such drive as soon as possible. Contact your computer or hard drive vendor to obtain return information.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You wouldn't want to "ghost" a bad drive since you will be effectively ghosting the errors.

But by all means backup your important data to CD or USB or other drive and take full advantage of Dell's warranty. If you have saved setup files and don't want to bother downloading them again -- save those too.

I imagine they will want the drive back. Before you send it to them you should "clean" it if you want to remove any personal data from it.

You can do this basically by just doing part of a clean "setup" routine from the Dell OEM XP CD you have. You can delete the existing partitions and leave it at that, you won't even have to actually do an install.

10. mbrody1234

thank you

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're most welcome!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!