1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] blue screen and IE screwup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bilbotitus, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilbotitus

bilbotitus Thread Starter

HI, I hope the government takes all of Bill Gates' money. I had installed the latest version of IE on my computer, windows me, but it was full of pop up ads that I couldn't suppress, so I decided to uninstall it. In the control panel it asked me if I would like to go back to an earlier version. Like a fool, I said yes, instead of getting rid of that darn browser all together. Anyway, in the process some files got corrupted, and then when it restarted, I got to the blank blue screen.; No programs on my desktop, and none in the control=alt=delete, either. I tried booting in safe mode, but there was nothing there, either! What can I do to get my windows back. I got programs and files on there that I'd like to keep.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. fpmm25

fpmm25

What operating system do you have?
    Have you tried using a bootdisk and turning the computer with the bootdisk in? If you did you could try to type the command: c:\scanreg /restore at the command prompt and choose one that you know where your system was for working before you decided to make the changes. This will restore your system back to before you decided to do any changes to IE. Please look at the dates and choose carefully, it may not help but it is a suggestion and worth a try.I hope this helps.

3. bilbotitus

thanks for the reply. Well, I'm using Windows Me, but I can't seem to find a boot disk for it. I've downloaded a boot disk, but I think its getting information from this windows 95 machine I'm using, so don't know if it will work as a boot disk when I put it in my windows me machine. (Glad I kept this old machine). Is there any other way to get to the dos prompt to try to go to scanreg\restore?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You need a ME boot disk.....ME boots to a dos prompt differently.

And you can't just save the download to a floppy, it must be executed to have the boot disk created.

5. bilbotitus

I downloaded a windows me boot disk, but the scanreg/restore didnt make any difference--still a blue screen. When I do control alt delete, I don't have any programs open. Even in safe mode, nothing shows. Blank, just a grey screen. I even did the long scandisk/all/surface, and no problems appeared. IE somehow corrupted some files when I uninstalled to a previous version. Where is the problem? In the registry? I even tried using my restore cd, but it doesn't work, the ghost screen comes up and says a critical error in 0x02. A symantec file. If I knew where the problem was, eg. registry, maybe I could download a script for it.

6. HuskerDu?

HuskerDu?

Critical error information table
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Critical error codes (values for __errcritical.code)

Code Meaning
    0x01 Invalid function number
    0x02 File not found

7. bilbotitus

Well, that's just great. Now which file can't it find? Symantec Ghost, or does SG not find some other, unnamed file? Once again, is the blue screen problem in the registry, or ?
    Thanks, again

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sometimes it is easier to just do a Windows overinstall for this problem, but occasionally the procedure here actually works:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q249191

You might just want to cut to the chase and run IE setup again as explained in step 9.

Note that in Winfile you will see only DOS shortnames for folders, not the full name paths, so you will be looking for

C:\Progra~1\Intern~1\Setup\SETUP.EXE

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The Explorer Shell is not loading. It happens sometimes when you either reinstall, upgrade or downgrade Internet Explorer.

Before you do anything else, use your bootdisk and run this comand at the prompt.

scanreg /fix

If no joy sometimes booting to an alternate shell and repairing or reinstalling IE helps.

It boils down to this. Edit System.ini to change the

Shell=Explorer.exe to read
    Shell= winfile.exe

Restart. See if you get in. It will look different. No taskbar or Desktop. This is not Windows Explorer.

Then try to repair or reinstall IE. You may even be able to get online and download a new copy.

Here's a link with the specific instructions on using Winfile.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q249191

EDIT: I see Rog posted while I typed. LOL

10. bilbotitus

Thanks for the advice. I think we're on the right track--the shell problem. I've been trying the various solutions, but after a few hours of failure, I'm taking a break until tomorrow. I do have the File manager screen, and tried reinstalling IE5, maybe I'll try IE6 tomorrow. The specific files are protected. Well, a progress report, I guess. I guess you have to have an IE installed to operate Windows ME. Report more tomorrow. Thanks so far.

11. The_Egg

The_Egg

Just to supplement the excellent work already being done here . . .

Regarding the original problem you had with the pop-up ads . . .

This suggests that you had (and possibly still have) spyware/adware on your system.

I recommend you download & run the following:
    StartUpList (to generate a list of all startup and running apps/processes)
    Spybot and/or Ad-Aware (to remove all spyware/adware items)

I'm assuming you're using a different pc at the moment, so you will need to find a way of transferring these files over.
    StartUpList is small enough to transfer over on a floppy.
    If you paste the StartUpList result file here, we should be able to help identify the spyware culprits (if any) and get them to stop loading at bootup.

Alternatively, run the System Information Tool:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE
    In Winfile:
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE
    Go to: Software Environment -> Running Tasks
    Edit menu -> select all
    Edit menu -> copy
    Paste & save it to a text file in Notepad (c:\windows\notepad.exe)
    Repeat for "Startup Programs" and "Services"
    (note: I'm not sure if "services" is a Win2k/XP-only entry)
    Manually type in separator lines to help us distinguish each section.

Copy the file over on to the other pc
    Paste the text or attach the .txt file here.

Just as a matter of interest, where did you download/install IE6 from in the first place? Was it from microsoft.com, or off a cover cd, or elsewhere?

You also said that "during the (uninstall) process, some files got corrupted".
    Could you please elaborate on this a bit more?

What Anti-Virus software is installed?

btw, I used WinME for over a year before upgrading to XP, but I certainly never tried to run Winfile as the shell (I know it's there in all Win9x OS'es, but the last time I actually used it was in Win 3.11), so I honestly haven't got a clue if any of my suggestions are going to work . . .

To be perfectly honest with you, the easiest option would be to reinstall WinME.

[edit]
    Aah, just read some more from above.
    Symantec/Norton problems

Maybe try opening c:\windows\system\sysedit.exe
    Look in config.sys, system.ini, win.ini
    Comment out any lines relating to Symantec/Norton apps with a semicolon, eg.
    ;device=navap32.sys

If there's any references in autoexec.bat
    then these can be commented out by typing REM at the beginning of the line, eg.
    REM Norton Nightmare=c:\progra~1\bleh\norton.exe

(note: I don't use any Norton software, and never will, so I don't know the exact entries/paths/filenames)

It might be wise to disable all Symantec/Norton apps first in msconfig before rebooting:
    c:\windows\system\msconfig.exe
    Startup tab
    Uncheck relevant items

I believe these items are essential:
    ScanRegistry
    PCHealth
    *StateMgr
    System Tray
    Explorer (ie. when set as shell)

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What exactly happened when you tried to run the IE setup.exe file?

If IExplore.exe is still in the folder, try running it. If you are lucky your DUN adapter will come up and make a connection and launch IE without error. You can then go to the IE homepage:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

and download IE6.

13. bilbotitus

Problem solved! Thanks to you guys and gals! Yes, the problem was with the IE shell when I tried to reinstall an earlier version of IE because I was tired of the popups I kept getting. I assumed it was integral to IE6. Yesterday I didn't reinstall IE6, da, when the computer told me it was already installed, da. Today I reinstalled it, and yes, was able to access the internet for the final tuning. Now all seems well again, I can put my old computer back in its place for now. Thanks again, everyone, for all your help!

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Terrific, and a happy...

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

to you :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice