1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue Screen and then Reboot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fresquito, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Hi,
    Specs Pentium 4, 1.3 ghz 512 RAM, running XP Pro, 120 HD (Two a 40 and 80). Problem is my computer will boot quickly flash a blue stop error and then reboot. The computer was working fine until yesterday when I went to print a form I downloaded from online and then the computer restarted and began doing the procedures above. The only thing I have done to it in the last couple of weeks is install quicken and skype. I can boot into the computer through safe mode. However, every other method I use to try and boot up will not work. Question is what can I do in safe mode to trouble shoot the computer. As far as the error is concerned, the screen flashes on and off too quickly for me to see any error code. Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Wow, no one with any ideas? Like I said I can boot with Safe Mode, is there anything I can do once I boot in safe mode that may help?

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

From Safe mode, Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times. Reboot into windows normally and post the error code.

4. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Well, I fixed it or at least I hope I did. Anyways, all I did was start from the bare bones... I disconnected all components one by one and tried restarting. I have four sticks of memory 2 = 256mb and 2 = 64mb. I disconnected all the memory except for one stick of 64mb. When I restarted the pc it constantly beep and got no video. I then took out the 64mb stick and replace it with a 256 mb stick. When I did this, the beeping persisted with no video. I then when ahead and mounted all four sticks back 2 256mb and 2 64mb sticks and Whalllla the computer booted normally. Although I have no idea why this problem occured in the first place, I am happy to have a normal working pc again. Now I am going to back up all my data incase this thing crashes for good. Thank you Dr. Chauncey for your input.

5. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Damn, well I turned off the pc to restart it and insure that the computer was really functioning as it should be. Well, the damn thing did exactly the same thing as I mentioned before a quick blue screen and then a restart. Now the bad part is that I can't get it to boot even in safe mode. I have played around with the memory but nothing is working now. My Dimension 8100 has PC 800 which I believe has to be installed in pairs. I have four slots in my computer so I have a pair of 256 for a total of 512 and a pair of 64 for a total of 128. However, if I use only one pair, let's say for instance the 256 pair the computer will give me no video and this also happens if I use the 64 pair. So basically there is no way for me to figure out which pair went bad. The only way I can get the computer to give me any video is by putting in all the memory. But like I said, even doing this I can't get the damn thing to boot up. So my question is do you all think it's the memory that has caused the problem on my pc? Could something else be causing the problem. Most importantly, how can I proceed to trouble shoot this thing. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice