Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Blue Screen, Dell XPS 400 - keyboard stops functioning

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tedonzong 
#1 ·
My Dell XPS 400 Desktop with Pentium D processor with Windows XP media edition suddenly gave a blue screen error. It will not reboot to give me a chance to fix it. When turned on it goes as far as the Screen that shows " We apologize but windows did not start successfully; a recent hardware or software change might have caused this ...." Then it gives options to strat up like "Safe mode" " Last successfull login.." Start windows normally"
but no mater what choice you make there is no further progress. THe Keboard suddenly goes dead and the mouse stops functioning too.
How do I proceed?
PS
I have tried installing another hard drive and it will not go past the first screen,
I tried reinstalling a windows on the same hard drive but it will not proceed neither
What are my options?

#2 ·
Memtest86+ is a comprehensive, stand-alone memory diagnostic tool. Basically, you need to put it to a diskette or cd to install the tool which will be later used to boot your computer and then perform the test....get it here
for floppy get the 6th one down...Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)
for the cd version get the 8th one down...Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

There are two ways to run Memtest86....

1. Using a floppy diskette.

Download Memtest86 then save it to your desktop.

Once download completes, right-click on memtest.zip
In the left hand column, click "Extract all Files". The Extraction Wizard will open.
Click Next, then extract to Desktop so you can easily locate it later.
Click ok.

Now to install the utility on a diskette.

Double-click on install.bat then follow the promps to create the bootable diskette.
Boot computer via floppy disk.
Once loaded, the test will automatically run itself.
let it run for at least 3 hours then note any error/messages you receive ...it will run until you press the ESC key

2. Using a cd.

Download Memtest86 then save it to your desktop.

Once download completes, right-click on memtest.iso.zip.
In the left hand column, click "Extract all Files". The Extraction Wizard will open.
Click Next, then extract to Desktop so you can easily locate it later.
Click ok.

Now "burn image" (memtest.iso) to a cd using Nero or any burning program you have that will burn .ISO files (image)

Set the bios to boot computer using the CD drive...or floppy first...depending which version of memtest you got...
the test will automatically run itself as soon as you boot up
let it run for at least 3 hours then note any error/messages you receive ...it will run until you press the ESC key...if you want a thourogh test...let it run overnite...if you get ANY ERRORS you will have to replace the ram

#3 ·
I finally solved the problem by applying ctrl F11 with the old hard drive and got back the original system;
What I have not been able to get rid of is the "floppy drive seek failure" message at start which I have made another posting for.
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.