1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Blue Screen of death on boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CASalts, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CASalts

CASalts Thread Starter

Hi,

My sons' window 98 SE pc is not booting normally. It boots to a blue screen then reboots itself immediately, displaying the menu for safe mode, etc.

I had it then do a logged boot, got the same error and rebooted into safe mode. Upon review of the bootlog.txt it appears that all of the fonts are failing to load. This is the only failure I can identify.

So I had the bright idea of reinstalling all the fonts, loaded the Windows 98SE cd in the drive, opened Windows Explorer with the intention of reloading the fonts. I was surprised to find that the D: drive was not listed. Thinking this was the problem I went to device manager which showed the CD drive installed with no errors. I then decided (big mistake) that this might be the problem and removed the CD Rom drive from the device manager. This obviously made absolutely no difference.

Now I want to boot to a command prompt and try to reload windows, however D is an invalid drive. There is also a CDRW drive that is still configured, but I cannot find the proper drive letter from the command prompt.

HELP!! How do I locate the CDRW drive to try and reinstall Windows from there? OR How do I fix the blue screen of death on boot so I can get to windows to reinstall the CD ROM drive.

Any and all help getting my sons off my back and back to their games would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time. This is a great site!!

Chris

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi CASalts, Welcome to TSG !!

Can you tell us what the BSOD says??
    Post as close as possible what the message says!

3. CASalts

CASalts Thread Starter

I'm sorry but I can't see an error message. It's flashing for a few moments the blue screen with no text but a gray blank text box area, the reboots.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Can you get into the BIOS??
    Try delete or f8 at boot up.
    Then set the first boot device to cdrom put in cd .

5. CASalts

CASalts Thread Starter

Thanks TW,

We did this, and were able to reinstall windows. However we still have the same problem it displays the blue screen momentarily then tries to reboot.

I looked at bootlog.txt and all of the font except sans serif and all fonts with the prefix WST_. These fonts loaded ok.

At the very end of the bootlog.txt we have the lines-

[000042D1] Starting Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
    [000042D1] Started Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
    [000042D2] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
    [000042D2] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)

Thanks again for your prompt replies.

PS: Great quote with your replies, I couldn't agree more.

6. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Ok try this see if it helps!!

7. HuskerDu?

HuskerDu?

Hello from Fayetteville, TW56 - Yeh, I know, completely unrelated to helping this poor guy, but thought I would holler at a fellow Arkie!

8. CASalts

CASalts Thread Starter

Good morning TW56,

I finally got it working. The webpage you gave me referred to doing a scanreg/restore. I tried this and it worked like a charm!!

Thanks for all of your help my friend. This site is the greatest!

9. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Your Welcome !!

Husker Du? Hey to you !! Send me a private message >

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice