1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue screen of death on laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by radcrow, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. radcrow

radcrow Account Closed Thread Starter

I understand that the system and everything is old, but it's all I've got to work with right now.

I have a Compaq Evo N800C running Windows 2000 Professional.

Everything was working fine, then suddenly Blue screen of death with error "0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"
    I've tried every option in the F8 & F10 setups, everything takes me back to the blue screen. I know I read that this might be a virus. I read a suggestion about taking the drive to another computer to check this - I'm very very very home user basic beginner and I don't know if or how the drive can be removed from the laptop and put into my Dell desktop to check it.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Microsoft have a support article about this issue at the link below.

Read the article carefully and determine whether or not this is applicable to your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883114

T.

3. radcrow

I've read the article - it offers downloads. How can I download something if I can't get beyond the blue screen of death?

I've tried Safemode, I've tried last known good configuration, I've tried getting to the command prompt, I've tried debugging mode - EVERYTHING takes me to the blue screen.

We don't have the installation cd, which I know makes matters worse since from what I've read that's the only way to get to the recovery console.

Any advice - other than taking me back to the microsoft articles I've read, please let me know

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

You are correct of course, BSOD's are not conducive to downloads...... but I have assumed that would be obvious :D

What you need is another computer or a friend with a computer who can download the files and build the new boot CD as instructed in the Microsoft support article kb/883114.

What I have said in my original post is that you need to read the Microsoft article carefully and ensure that the article does in fact address the problem that you are having. If it does then you should apply the solution as provided by Microsoft, If it does not address your problem then you need to restate your problem and explain what it is about your problem that is different to the problem and solution as provided by Microsoft.

If I was trying to fix this problem for one of my clients then that is the way that I would proceed. In my experience the solutions provided by Microsoft fix around 80% of the problems. In the other 20% of cases the problem is different to the solution provided by Microsoft. We need to determine if your issue is in the 80% or 20%. If it is in the 20% then we need to know what it is about your issue that makes it the "exception to the solution".

T.

5. radcrow

I don't think that this specific article is for me - but I could be wrong.

I wasn't using a USB CD-Rom device to install windows.

Everything was working fine. No downloads or installs were performed. I turned it on, it worked. Turned it off. Turned it on again, Blue Screen.

This is why I think it's a virus and why I think I need to get a Windows 2000 installation CD to be able to get to the recovery console and or reinstall. But I could be wrong.

If I follow the information on the previously listed link - I'm assuming I would have to download the file to my desktop. Then build a new boot cd (which I have no knowledge of how to do this)???????

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

With a computer that old, the most likely cause of the problem is a failed hard drive. You'll have to try to repair or reinstall Windows to confirm.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

In your first post your wrote....

Based on that statement I am extremely reluctant to give you a task that could well be way beyond your current knowledge and experience and if carried out incorrectly could make the current situation much worse than it is. Windows 2000 Professional was not created for beginners, it was an OS for seasoned computer professionals. It does not come with the user-friendly tools that were built into XP and improved in Vista.

The very first thing that you need to decide is whether or not the data on the laptop is valuable. If the data is important to you then STOP even thinking about a reinstall because in that case the very first thing that you need to do is move the data to your PC. If the data is not important then that gives you other options.

Considering the age of the laptop and that Windows 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft, you could consider a completely different solution - for example Linux. If this was my old laptop then that is exactly what I would be doing. Firstly, if the data was important I would get it off the hard disk and then I would reformat the disk and install Linux.

You could do all of this via your PC and even though you are not experience I think that this would be within your capabilities. There is a very large Linux community and they are very helpful - especially to beginners.

You would then have a very nice setup - Windows on your PC and Linux on your laptop.

Do you think that you can do this?

If you have no knowledge of Linux then take a look at these 2 websites which should give you some confidence that you are up to the challenge.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

http://lifehacker.com/192982/geek-to-live--rescue-files-with-a-boot-cd

T.

8. radcrow

I follow direction very well and I can figure out a lot of things beyond a beginner.
    I'm good with the software stuff, it's the hardware that I know nothing of.

My boyfriend got this laptop for free years ago, so he didn't really have a say in what operating system it used or anything.

There are no important files, so if you think Linux would be better - I'm open for anything.
    I'd rather try to save the laptop to use for minimal tasks - even just internet usage in another part of the house away from the desktop. Since I know I can't get any value for the laptop itself.

Thank you for all of your help and patience.

9. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

keep holding the power button.

10. radcrow

keep holding the power button?? somehow that makes no sense, but it couldn't hurt at this point and SURPRISE:

if i press it and hold it- the laptop turns on and immediately off.

if i press it, let go and then press it, it turns off.

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

Firstly, to return to the post by DoubleHelix, this is of course always a possiblity on any machine irrespective of age. I have known hard disks to last for 20 years and others to last for 20 minutes. The hard disk may simply have died. If that is the case then it is simply not economically viable to try to repair the disk. But disks are a very low-cost item and it may be worth buying a replacement disk.

However, the disk may be 100% OK and it may be just Windows having a bad day.

If you feel that you are up for it and if you enjoy learning new things and challenging yourself then going the Linux route is certainly worth considering.

Logically these are the steps that you need to follow: -

1. Use your PC to download and setup on a CD (or USB drive) a standalone version of Linux
    2. Boot the laptop from the Linux CD
    3. Using Linux reformat the laptop hard disk
    4. Run a Linux disk check utility to check the disk
    5. Download and install a permanent version of Linux to the laptop hard disk
    6. Download and install essential software such as OpenOffice which runs under Linux

Then have a whole lot of fun learning about your new OS. :D

You will find that the old laptop will probably perform a lot better because Linux uses far fewer system resources than Windows.

The version of Linux that I would recommend that you use is Fedora. You will find everything that you need on the Fedora website. Fedora is Open Source software which means that it is completely free of charge.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/index

If you do decide to do this then it would be interesting if you posted your progress to this Forum.

T.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I would not recommend Linux to a basic home user. It's a completely different operating system, and new users quickly discover all their familiar shortcuts and programs simply don't work. I think it's too much of a learning curve.

There are some great deals on new laptops out there. I would suggest finding a new one.

13. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi DoubleHelix

Your advice is usually very good, but in this case I think you may have not quite appreciated the situation with this user.

Under normal circumstances neither would I recommend changing from Windows to Linux for an inexperienced user - or perhaps for any user for that matter.

This is a different situation. This user has a very old laptop. The hardware on this user's laptop will not run other versions of Windows, such as XP or Vista. To go through all the pain of reinstalling Windows 2000 Professional (which is no longer supported by Microsoft) just seems to be an impractical way forward.

Of course the user could buy a new laptop, but perhaps their budget does not allow that at the moment. This user has a PC and it is most likely that they use the PC for most of their computing activity and the laptop is simply a convenient way of connecting to the Internet from other rooms in the house.

Linux is in my view a very practical way to extend the life of a very old laptop, with very limited hardware resources, for simple tasks such as email, the web, simple documents (using OpenOffice) and the convenience of being able to connect to the Internet from the bedroom or the garden or the living room..... etc.

In a previous post radcrow writes ".... I am good with the software stuff...." I think she can do it. Steep learning curve..? Perhaps, but learning new stuff is both fun and challenging.

There was a time when all of us (you and me included) knew nothing about any of this stuff. It was only by challenging ourselves and learning new things that we achieved what we have both achieved today. Perhaps for radcrow this is the beginning...... :D

T.

14. radcrow

Thanks T, I think I can do it. You are right - the laptop is used for easy internet access away from the desktop. Usually just internet access.

I work on this when I get home after work. Last night I was reading the other links you sent. http://lifehacker.com/192982/geek-to-live--rescue-files-with-a-boot-cd has information about Knoppix. I downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso last night on my desktop. From the article, the next step is to copy that file to a cd, change the boot sequence on the laptop and boot.

Do I need Knoppix and or Fedora?

15. Tabvla

Tabvla

You need both Knoppix and Fedora.

I would use Knoppix to create a standalone Linux boot CD. You will create this CD via your PC. This way you will be able to boot the laptop and then check and reformat the hard disk. Make sure that you read the documentation and know what needs to be done before you start with Knoppix.

But the boot CD does not contain all the "bells and whistles" of a full installation. For that you need to install to the hard disk.

Once you are sure that the hard disk is OK, you can then download and install the Fedora version of Linux. I recommend that you use version 11 because version 12 is still a "work-in-progress". Check back to the Fedora site from time to time and when version 12 comes out of Beta and goes live you can then upgrade.

And of course DoubleHelix is absolutely correct - there is a learning curve. You have to invest some time in going through the documentation. In this respect I would concentrate on the documentation provided on the Fedora Project website. In addition there is extensive help available from the Fedora Forum and a very enthusiastic group of members. These people know what they are doing and will be able to resolve any problem which you may have during the installation or later when you want to install software or use the system.

You may be asking "Why Linux?" The reason is quite simple. Linux uses far fewer resources than Windows and is therefore the ideal OS to install on a very old laptop which has very limited hardware resources. And of course Linux is free, which means that if it does not work out for you all it has cost you is a few hours of your spare time.

Would I recommend installing Linux on a new machine? No. For a new machine with new hardware, plenty of RAM, fast processors, large hard disks, powerful graphics cards.... I don't see any advantage to installing Linux and will therefore always recommend the latest version of Windows. But for old laptops - you simply cannot beat the Linux option.

T.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!