1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue screen on Boot-up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Helter23, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

I just recently built a new computer, and put in my hard drives from my old one(which were raid enabled)...they worked fine on my old computer but now that i have installed them in my new computer i keep getting the blue screen on boot-up. I tried booting from the windows XP CD but it says windows isnt installed on the hard drive(it said this when they were working in my old computer as well)...i have no idea what to try to get it to work..please help!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well, first the drivers for the raid would have to be installed for the hard drives to be recognized and then for Windows to be recognized we would have to know what version of Windows you have and some system specs. please include the manufacturer of the motherboard.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Did you get the driver disk with the

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Motherboard?

Once you get the raid stuff installed and the computer and windows recognize each other then you are going to have to run and install all of the drivers for the motherboard using this special disk. Then check device manager and you should be ok with out any yellow marks.

6. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

i cant even get windows to boot up to be able to install the drivers....i get the windows XP loading screent hen halfway thru it crashes and give me the blue screen...so how else would i be able to install the drivers?

7. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

a new blue screen came up saying there was a problem with the file "sptd.sys" it said it was "mistakenly marked image pagable instead of nonpagable"...and advice on what to do?

8. The Hound

The Hound

sptd.sys is a driver common to both Alcohol120 and DaemonTools--if you had either one installed, that's likely causing the issue.

Can you get to the recovery console?

9. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

i have demon tools but the recovery console i have for some reason doesnt recognize that i have windows installed on my hard drive(although it worked fine on my old computer)..do u think it has to do with my Nvidia chipset?....if i put the hard drives in another computer with a different motherboard i could boot it up and get rid of the file?

10. The Hound

The Hound

Try this:

Slave the drive with your new windows installation in another bootable machine. Browse to x:\windows\system32\drivers (where x: is the drive you've slaved) and rename sptd.sys to dtps.old -- you may have to take ownership of the files to do it (if you get an 'access denied error', go here...).

That should clear that last BSOD--

The text of any BSOD you receive after you return the drive to the new machine would help a bunch...

11. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

alright, ill try slaving it and post back with what happens,but i dont think ill be able to try it until tomm...thanks a bunch for your help!

12. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

ok so i did find the recovery CD...so would that be easier then slaving the hard drives? and what would i do with the recovery CD that would let me be able to fix this problem?

13. The Hound

The Hound

I'm not clear on what you mean by a 'recovery cd'.

14. Helter23

Helter23 Thread Starter

The recovery CD for my Windows XP from the dell i had...i am still using the hard drives that were in that....but it doesnt recoginze that windows is installed on my hard drive.....also if i install windows on the other hard drive in my computer(that doenst currently have windows) will it delete all the files i have on that hard drive?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice