1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue Screen - Physical Memory Dump

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lynnw1982, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynnw1982

lynnw1982 Thread Starter

Hi,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me as when I watch a movie or TV program on my laptop half way through the movie I will get a Blue Screen and a message saying Physical Memory Dump. Anyone know why this would be and how I can fix it. Here is the information that is on my Problem Reports and Solution page.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
    Mini100608-01.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
    Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C000001D
    BCP2: 877538A1
    BCP3: 9895D95C
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1
    Server information: a466c3b1-106d-460f-9c9f-e7c698f7886f

Many thanks,

Lynn

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

First instinct would be overheating from the graphics adapter not being able to lose as much heat as it generates > over time critical point reached > blue screen. If that were the case I suggest making sure insides are clean and the laptop is in a position to optimally cool itself. You may need a laptop cooler.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

4. lynnw1982

lynnw1982 Thread Starter

I would love it if you can do that please. I think I have attached it right.

Many thanks,

Lynn

Attached Files:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

These are the basics from the two minidumps:

The identification of "hardware" is never very specfific -- but the indication here is that DirectX graphics processing was involved -- so this could be your graphics hardware.

Looking at your loaded module list, my impression is that you are using onboard Intel graphics and not an installed card.

There may be some updates available here, including chipset updates. For me, on my Vista system using an Intel graphics chipset -- these updates are made available through Windows Updates. Have you installed the latest Intel Chipset update for your board -- if that is the case? There have been several since I have had it.

6. lynnw1982

lynnw1982 Thread Starter

Hi,

To be honest I'm not really all that clued up when it comes to computers. All I do is go on windows update and check for new updates. I've just tried it and it states that there is no more available updates.

Lynn

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the computer make and model number? We should have a look at the vendor's download site for the model.

Have these BSODs always occured during heavy GPU usage (that's your Graphics Procesor Unit) -- i.e. during full screen Video or gaming?

How much memory is installed?

Also, I don't expect it to find any problems, but run mdsched.exe -- read the additional info and run the extended memory test.

Heat, as the previous poster mentioned could also be an issue -- especially under the circumstances you mentioned.

Have a look around the sides and bottom of the case for fan vents. Make sure they are free of dust. You should get a can of compressed air and blow out any accumulation.

If you are running these videos Full Screen -- try running them in a smaller window if possible and see if the same problem ocurs.

8. shinybeast

shinybeast

One more thing, I've had people tell me about issues they had when using a laptop sitting on bedding. The computer would work fine then crash. Their problems were caused by heavy usage and sitting on the soft bedding. It blocks vents and insulates as well making the computer too hot to run. I'm not saying this is the problem, I am trying to explain that the computer should be on a hard flat surface if it is not so it gets plenty of air circulation. It could very well be the things Rollin' Rog mentioned (but to check that he needs your make and model).

9. lynnw1982

lynnw1982 Thread Starter

It's a Logiq notebook serial no M66SRU manufactured by Clevo Co. I can remember having these issues since a bought the laptop in December last year. I didn't really use it that often to watch movies and I have tried watching them in small scale but still have the same problems. I keep my laptop flat on a glass coffee table and the fan vents are free from dust. I've had my laptop for nearly a year and it got repaired approx 3-4 months ago as I dropped it. I have the same problem if i'm talking to my friends on MSN using my web cam also. I've tried using driver detective and it says I have 17 out of date drivers. I've tried to download the NVIDIA Geforce 8400M G graphics driver but when I go to install it it says that it's not compatible but my user's guide that I got with the Laptop say's that that's what is installed on the Laptop.

10. lynnw1982

lynnw1982 Thread Starter

I've just tried mdsched.exe and it states that there are no problems

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you sure you downloaded the Vista drivers?

If this PDF is correct -- it appears to use 64 bit version of Vista -- so that might have been where you went wrong on the download.

http://www.pro-star.com/drivers/M66SRU-M665SRU/M6xxSRU_Manual.pdf

Is there a support website for this model, I can't find one? It is certainly obscure.

This is as close as I can come to a driver support page and it is not associated with the vendor as far as I can tell

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=download&modelno=6626/M66SRU-M665SRU

12. shinybeast

shinybeast

The clevo site is here. Not much support to speak of but there are some video (VGA) drivers there from April under e-services > downloads (have to enter particulars). They might be worth a shot. Should always be able to uninstall them if they don't solve it.

13. lynnw1982

lynnw1982 Thread Starter

I have checked my manual and my laptop seems to have everything to run a 64 bit OS but I have checked my system and it can only run a 32 bit. Could this be the problem or should it not matter? The way I checked if I could run 64 bit was by going into System Properties, Advanced setting, Environmental variables and then checked PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE in the system variables screen and it says x86. My understanding is that If it was compatible to run 64 bit it should have said x64. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I think that I may have originally had Windows 64 bit but my laptop did not come with a disc as it was already on when I got it but I have since formatted drive C and had to put a 32 bit OS version on.

14. shinybeast

shinybeast

Did the problem occur when you had original install as well? The drivers I pointed to previously claim to be for 64 and 32 bit (can't say for sure). It might depend on which model you have (from the manual it looks like one model (A) had VIA based graphics and the other two used NVIDIA based graphics (B&C)) It definitely looks like it came with 64-bit Vista. The 32-bit could be an issue. You can try getting the drivers from the link I posted above and installing them. If it doesn't change anything then you can use the Driver Rollback option in Device Manager > Display adapters. If anything screwy happens and you can't get into Vista normally, you should be able rollback from safe-mode. Other than that, I can only suggest getting a 64-bit Vista. But if you had the same issue with original 64-bit install, then that is likely not to help.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You cannot install any 64 bit drivers if your OS is 32 bit.

If the chipset architecture is 64 bit and the original OS was 64 bit -- and you formatted and installed 32 bit OS -- it should be perfectly compatible as long as you install the 32 bit hardware drivers approprate to the OS version.

But you say you are not seeing a 64 bit chipset -- what is CPU model?

I don't know why you would get any error trying to install the 32 bit X86 version of anything if that is what the OS is.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!