Solved: Blue Screen & Reboot - Windows Logon Process Terminated Unexpectedly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SylvrFalkon

I am using XP Pro and the automated update just downloaded the recent updates so i told it to install them. Then it restarted the computer after prompting me to.

I am now getting a "c000021a The Windows Logon Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000018 The system has been shutdown"

I have tried to get into Safe Mode, but it still give the error to go into safe mode, I went into the Recovery Console, but not sure if I can do anything useful in here. I was thinking of trying a repair, but would prefer not. Is there a command line version of the XP roll-back feature, or does anyone know how to fix this problem in general? Or is the only solution as it stands to do a Repair Install?

Thanks, James

Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

SylvrFalkon

That's still considered as safe mode... the error has something to do with the logon itself, so you don't even get an opportunity to authorize as an administrator because it reboots before it can get to that stage of the xp bootup. I guess I can't run that command line from the Recovery Console, it uses some sort of UI according to its filename, probably needs windows. Been a long time since a Rollback, so cant remember if it was xp driven or from pseudo dos. Is there a pseudo dos way to rollback?

SylvrFalkon

I tried that too... didn't work. I'm going to try a repair install when I get hope. I sure hope it works. Thanks. Leave other suggestions on here if you have 'em.

James :cool:

SylvrFalkon

Repair Install failed badly. It kept coming up with errors saying windows setup could not validate certain files on the harddrive or something. This is soo not cool. I have tried the repair install 3-4 times now. I think I might just have to do a normal install over top of it, burn my files, re-format, and re-install. Talked to a friend, and their computer died too with latest Windows Updates. :(

SylvrFalkon

Hey, that's a nice site for me to use in the future. I think I'm just going to do a messy normal install overtop, then backup, then do a clean format and install. *sigh* I didn't need this. Thanks Microsoft. :( Thanks for the advice though guys. (y)

hello mate sounds like a bios problem open up computer remove battery backup then put power lead back in then boot go in in safe mode this should work then turn off in xp take power lead out replace battery reboot try that Ive just done my brothers pc and I had the same problem
Ray..........

All removing the battery does is reset the BIOS, you can do this from within the BIOS itself (Load System Defaults ect...) You might only ever need to touch the battery if the board seemed dead or you forgot the BIOS password. It is a complete waste of time to do this with access to the BIOS and booting into safe mode in this state makes even less sense? Not to mention not all Mainboards have a removable CMOS battery or a CMOS clear jumper. It is very dangerous to just recommend things without knowing why or what they do.

SylvrFalkon

I was going to install a copy of 98se, then realized this would totally negate my ntfs filesystem and still not able to get my files backed up. Installed 2000, backed up files, re-formatted, then put xp back on. I sure hope I do not run into any more corrupting updates, wish I knew what had caused it exactly. Anyways, lost many many days of work I could have been doing, but up and going. Thanks for everyone's input.

James :cool:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online