1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue Screen /Vista 64bit only/driver problem?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by davs, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davs

davs It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Im experiencing random crashes/BSOD of Vista 64bit Ultimate, in 15 minutes after system boot. Windows XP works fine with my hardware. I tried out:
    - disk formatting/clean installation
    - BIOS flash
    - Vista memory check
    - work with integrated Radeon X1250 only
    - I think PSU shouldnt be a problem if everything works fine in WinXP
    - I installed all updates / some of them i installed succesfully only on second attempt
    - Im not able to install Service Pack 1

It seems to me it´s a graphics card driver or some other driver since in safe mode the system works fine. I have the newest drivers for ATI.

Any suggestions?

*[email protected],2GHz
    *Asus M2A-VM, AMD 690G Chipset
    *ATI Radeon HD2600XT
    *2x1GB Kingston dual
    *320GB HDD WD

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Has it ever worked without that crash, and if so when did the problem begin? Has System Restore been tried if there was a stable operating period?

What is the rating on the current PSU? For that GPU you should add about 150 - additional watts load in addition to the previous system demand.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/12843/12
    http://www.adecy.com/psu/ >> calculate your power usage without a card and add the existing ones load.

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non-system driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

>> Also:

Clean Boot Troubleshooting>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Examine Reliability Monitor and Event Logs >> Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced.

> Reliabilty Monitor (gives a clue as to when problems began and what installs preceeded them)

> System Health Report

> Event Viewer (system logs); note repeating errors.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I have a very similar PC also running Vista 64.
    Main difference is I'm using on-board Graphics only on an Asus m2a-vm hdmi (almost identical to the m2a-vm).
    Might be worth trying the original drivers that came with the board for the on-board Graphics, see if that works ok in 'normal' mode, I'm using those drivers for my x1250 without issue.

4. davs

davs It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

to Rolling Rog - thanks for trying to help, I will keep the debugging tips for the future
    to Managed - thanks as well, I think you are right / the issue is somehow connected with the driver. Eventually I solved the problem by changing many settings in the same time, so I cant say exactly what was the problem, but for those experiencing the same issue might be helpfull:
    1) I removed LAN and VGA driver - to change original drivers for VISTA ones
    2) I disabled some features in BIOS (Q-Fan, Prefetch, all other to defaul) - i will try to enable it today - somebody wrote this might have caused the problems (..even though I doubt)
    3) I removed HD2600XT graphics, enabled onboard graphics and disabled onboard LAN
    After that I booted normally and for the first time, I was able to install offline Service Pack 1 !!!!!
    After installation of SP1, I enabled onboard LAN in BIOS and installed ATI HD2600XT graphics, then I updated Vista online, using only the drivers Vista offered me. And that works!!!
    No crashes any more, no BSOD. I dont know if the problem was the LAN driver or SP1 helped but now the system works great.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear it and you are welcome for any tips.

When you are confident all is well, feel free to mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu here.

Again, good luck!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!