1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Blue screen when trying to install new hardware in Win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by scope, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scope

scope Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am having problems installing an Iogear USB 2.0 PCI card in my Dell Dimension 600 MHz with Windows 98 Second Edition. I thought it might be the card, but I am having the same problem when I plug an Acom USB 2.0/Firewire external hard drive into the existing USB 1.1 port.

I install the USB 2.0 card into the only free PCI slot, and boot the computer. Windows recognizes that there is new hardware, and says "Please wait while Windows builds a driver database". When it gets to 19% in this process, I get a blue screen telling me there is a fatal exception error ("fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C00D9FBF in VXD NAVAP(02)+ 000198DB").

I thought the problem was with the card, but when I took the card out and rebooted, I plugged the hard drive into the USB 1.1 port and had the same thing happen: Windows recognized there was new hardware, said to wait while it builds a driver database, and then the blue screen.

I couldn't find the exact problem on this forum, but I did try certain things. I did find that I had one IRQ free (5), if that matters. I also went to Microsoft and downloaded the latest updates. Any help or suggestions that anybody has would be greatly appreciated.

2. pvc9

pvc9

3. scope

scope Thread Starter

Well, that solved it! I tried shutting everything down except Explorer and Systray before loading the drivers at one point, but apparently that wasn't good enough - the Symantec instructions on disabling autoprotect solved it. Thank you very much for your help!

4. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

:cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice