1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: blue screens abound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dougj, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

I have built a new system recently:
    - ASUS A8N SLi premium m/b
    -ASUS Extreme N6800GT graphics
    - AMD athlon 64 FX-57 processor
    - 600 watt enermax pwr supply
    - 2 GB DDR400 memory
    - SATA 150 drives in a RAID 1 configuration with a 3rd SATA drive for storage and backups
    - win xp pro
    - DVD drive

The problem is that the system blue screens all the time. I have had the m/b replaced 3 times, the processor once as well as the pwr supply and memory.

There is nothing consistent as to when this expensive boat anchor reboots. I can be on startup...after running for 2 minutes or 2 hours. The PC could be in the middle of a download or sitting idle doing nothing.

As usual the manufacturers and retailer are as useless as can be. I am desperately looking for some sort of utility that can help me trace the source of this trouble. ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx....d.

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning these kinds of things may be due to a variety of reasons.
    Firstly obtain and run Everest.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    Open the computer > sensors page and do a copy and paste with that information back here if possible.
    We are interested in temperatures and voltages as a clue.

A memory test is also needed.
    Obtain Memtest86, make a bootable media with it and runit for several hours, accept no errors.http://www.memtest.org/
    qldit.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Does it blue screen while running in safe mode?

Seems to me, if you replaced so much hardware, that the problem must be in the software your using. Possibly something in your startup folder, or the run entry in the registry.

I had this same problem just recently with one of my machines. The culprit turned out to be a menu program I was running.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you ruled out overheating? It doesn't take but seconds if the heatsinking is faulty.

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

5. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

tech support guy forums rule!! This is the stuff I need to resolve this. I am just finishing with a bunch of other projects in the next few hours and will then have time to look at these suggestions. I will send the requested along asap.

Fpr a monent on the overheating thing. I am unable to use the m/b BIOS heat settings as the PC never starts with them set. I have seen this on every ASUS board I have ever owned and have heard from others that the same applies for asus boards. So I am not sure I have a way to monitor the heat issue. I will check the manufacturers site for anything that will help with that. I am however currently runniong with 3 extra fans and the side covers off just in case that was an issue and it doesn;t seem to matter whether its open or closed of the fans are running or not.......the system just dies randomly.

Thanx all for your help so far

doug

6. 00JAYJAY00

00JAYJAY00

Hi

I Was Getting The Same Problem, Went Through All The Variety Of Things That Could Cause It But Finally Changes My Heatsink And Fan On Top Of The Cpu.
    Now It Works Fine With No Problems So Maybe This Could Be One Issue.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

attached are 2 files.

The one "qldit" asked for is "everest report.txt". Also note that I have already run the memory test for 6 hours with no faults.

The other file "TechSupport.zip" is the one Rollin' Rog asked for. It contains the last 3 files in the windows\minidump folder.

Thanx again for your help.....doug

Attached Files:

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Asus has a utility on mobo cd to monitor temps if you can get nothing else to work...and this couold be heat synch problem.
    Unfortunately I went thorough exatcly what you did with 2 rma's on the same board...then when the board failed to hold my settings, and I tried 2 different batteries, I discovered a site with 300 negative posts on this mobo and I rma's it and swapped for a Biostar that solved every problem. You need to uninstall all nvidia drivers except for video where you do not want the newest and definitely unistall the nvidia ide storage driver, that one is a killer, and of cousre do not install the Nvidia firewall etc...this is where I went and never regretted it 5 months ago:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138272 sli version as I used this one...http://www.directron.com/tforce4u.html

10. qldit

qldit

Good Morning all, Those figures from Everest are not too bad,
    Temperatures:
    Motherboard 43 °C (109 °F)
    CPU 40 °C (104 °F)
    GPU 57 °C (135 °F)
    GPU Ambient 46 °C (115 °F)
    Maxtor 6L300S0 44 °C (111 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 3444 RPM
    Chassis 3245 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.39 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 4.97 V
    +12 V 11.97 V
    +5 V Standby 4.81 V
    VBAT Battery 3.09 V

You will note that your incase temperature is obviously in the area of 40 degs C which naturally is the base for everything else but shouldn't really be a worry.

The Video card is showing 57 degs C which is common for a lot of cards but does need watching.

The Processor is obviously running quite nicely at 40 degc C should be no problem.
    It may be worth doing a stress check runing some processor intensive program to observe variation. (something where the Everest readout can be observed simultaneously)

The hard drive temp would be expected with that in-case kind of temp and be normal.

The +5 volt reading is showing 4.97 which although is probably perfectly normal could by worth observing under a system stressed condition to see what if it may drop.

Basically there is really nothing abnormal in those figures when considering a modern system.

In view of the history I would be considering a software probability, probably drivers.

qldit.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

BugCheck 100000D1, {c8c88621, 2, 1, b4eaf8d4}

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NVTcp.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NVTcp.sys
    Probably caused by : HTTP.sys ( HTTP!UlInitializeConnectionTimerInfo+22 )

=====================================================

They are all the same as the above. HTTP.sys is the crashing driver. This is a special networking driver. The challenge here is to figure out why it is crashing.

Perhaps a firewall other than the Windows Firewall? A quick google search shows this bugcheck associated with some Nforce Firewall installations, ring a bell?

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=37537
    http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t5732.html
    http://www.google.com/search?hs=cE9...t=opera&rls=en&q=+http.sys+nforce&btnG=Search

Post a HijackThis scanlog:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

12. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

I found the nForce firewall installed on the system and have removed it so I will monitor and see what happens. Most of the troubles in the other discussions relate to older drivers than what I am currently using so I am not sure they are an issue anymore.

If the system does bsod again I will attach another minidump file as well as the hijackthis log.

thanx....doug

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okedoke; it's possible if you were using another firewall as well, there was a conflict.

Let us know how it goes.

How did you remove the firewall -- by removing NAM from Add/Remove programs, or reinstalling the chipset drivers without it?

I don't have the motherboard and others seem to have problems with this from time to time.

Most of the problems I have seen with the NForce firewall have had to do with corrupt downloads.

14. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

i had the windows firewall disabled as in the beginning it had caused problems in conjunction with the NV firewall. The NV firewall was also making iCS impossible to get working so rtemoving it was a blessing anyways. I have re enabled the windows firewall as well.

I used the add/remove programs to uninstall the NV firewall and it wrked very well. Again I am using the absolute latest of all drivers and bios from the asus site.

An hour has gone by and so far no bsod.......I will keep my fingers crossed.

doug

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

How are you doing on this Doug, still crossing your fingers? :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice