1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Blue screens two weeks after new build

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by YesChicken, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YesChicken

YesChicken Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm hoping to shed some light on why I started getting some pretty atrocious blue screens about two weeks after I built this new system.

System specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit)
    AMD FX-8350 8 core processor (4GHz)
    16GB DDR3 RAM (currently defaulted to 1333 mhz)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GPU
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard (rev 4)
    Western Digital Green 2TB SATA HDD

I had problems getting the hard disk to format with the correct NTFS file system when I first put this thing together. During Windows installation I got "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table." I'm really not sure how that happened, but after some searching I found out how to use diskpart to set it to NTFS.

The system ran fine for almost two weeks but I had my first BSOD when I alt-tabbed out of the Sims 3 (Steam version) to send a Steam message to someone. My motherboard, graphics, sound and LAN drivers were up to date, and Vista was fully updated; I had also updated BIOS. Sadly I don't have any minidumps from that point as I reinstalled Windows three or four days ago out of frustration.

Since the first BSOD I jotted down some of the error messages. Mostly they were Cache Mgr 0x34, but I also had 0x36 (I've jotted down "system service exc" on my notepad) and one Bad Pool Header 0x19.

Sometimes after restarting, BIOS would post and Windows would display the loading bar, but then the USB ports seemed to shut down; the mouse and keyboard lights turned off and they stopped responding, leaving me unable to log into Windows. Once I had "Appcrash - Windows Media Player stopped working etc, faultmodule name kernel 32.dll" when Windows first started.

What I did at that point:

- ran Memtest86 through about 9 passes (I didn't realise that it didn't need to run that long!). No errors found.
    - ran windows memory check. No errors found.
    - ran disk check about three times. No errors found.
    - triple checked that all drivers were correct and up to date.

After failing to figure out what demons were plaguing my comp, I gave up and decided to reinstall Vista. This actually seems to have helped a great deal. I had no issues with the hard disk formatting or file system and the install itself went smoothly. I ran Memtest and disk check again and still no issues there.

The first thing I did was install my chipset drivers, then LAN and USB 3.0 and all that jazz. Lastly I went for the GPU drivers (an Nvidia .exe file) but I encountered an error: "the application failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect" etc. I looked this up and it seemed to be due to a conflict with C++ runtime libraries. I've never seen that error before and I've been running this copy of Vista for years through quite a few system reinstalls.

At this point I set the GPU driver aside and commenced updating Windows, figuring it must have some C++ updates in there somewhere. I had four BSODs during this process (I've attached a .zip with the minidumps) but it eventually calmed down and worked. I was able to install my GPU drivers after that.

From that point to present, I haven't had any further blue screens. I'm a little leery of running the Sims seeing as 3 out of the first 4 BSODs happened while it was running, but honestly, I still don't have any clue what's causing them.

While everything seems to be all right now, it's only been a few days and I haven't been using the comp that much because I've had company over. If anyone can take a look at what I've posted and see if they can spot problems, I would be extreeeeemely grateful. I've never had to return hardware and I'm hoping I won't have to start now!

Thanks heaps in advance, and let me know if there's any more information I can give.

-YesChicken

(Please see minidumps .zip file and DXDiag text file attached)

Attached Files:

2. YesChicken

Just had another one. System service exception 3b while trying out the Sims Medieval through Steam. When the comp rebooted, it was loading Windows files and then had another brief blue screen just before Windows actually booted up. Had to do a hard shut down and restart. See attached mini dump!

Attached Files:

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, minidump file scan result - in part.
    ======
    Related to dxgkrnl.sys
    DirectX Graphics Kernel from Microsoft Corporation.
    http://www.systemlookup.com/Drivers/2249-dxgkrnl_sys.html

Updating DirectX would be your first move.
    http://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/179113
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/21547.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35
    ======
    Have you installed all Windows Update or turned on Automatic Updates?
    I am not a pc builder or a gamer - for additional help, we may need to have your post moved to the Hardware forum.

4. YesChicken

Hi blues_harp,

After that blue screen last night I've been unable to boot my computer today. This morning I've had two "irql not less or equal" blue screens, and at the moment I'm unable to get into Windows (not even safe mode). I'm replying from my laptop so I can't even get at the minidumps for you, but they were both 0xA.

All Windows updates had been applied as of yesterday (I have it set to notify me when updates are available but I always install all of them), and I was running DirectX 11 which I assumed was fully updated. I'll keep trying to get the machine up and running so I can make absolutely sure DirectX is updated.

Thank you for the reply and I'll keep you posted!

5. blues_harp28

Ok - keep us updated, good luck.
    Some reasons for blue screens
    New hardware - software installed.
    Device driver - Video driver - corrupted - faulty.
    Faulty Ram - Overheating - Dying hard drive etc.
    ======
    However, where the blue screen error is reported, is not necessarily where it first started and may not be the cause.
    Post the minidump files when you can.
    ======
    Hard drive test.
    SeaTools for DOS tutorial - ISO to CD
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en?language=en_US
    ======
    Overheating.
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

6. YesChicken

I ran the SeaDos tool on my C drive and it came up clean, with no errors. However I still cannot load Windows. I was able to get into Windows safe mode (no networking) once, in order to set up a clean boot, but when the comp restarted it had another IRQL blue screen, which resulted in another reboot that tried to load a clean boot of normal Windows (not safe mode), which resulted in a blue screen that was so fast I couldn't read it. I'm about to give up, format and reinstall Vista.

I've never gotten any error results when I run tests on the hardware, which is all brand new. I opened up the case this afternoon, unplugged everything and reseated it, and it didn't seem to have an effect. I'm considering buying Windows 7; if this (hopefully) isn't a hardware issue, do you think it would make a difference? My Vista disc is a little scratched... I dunno, I'm grasping at straws here.

I've been keeping an eye on the CPU temperature since building this comp and I've never seen it above mid-forties.

I don't know what else I can do at this moment aside from an OS reinstall, considering I can hardly get into Windows, and when I do I can't stay in it long enough to look at anything or pull out any more minidumps. I've never had such a serious problem with any computer I've owned.

7. blues_harp28

You may be able to run a Startup Repair and get it to load to the desktop.
    Although, the cause of the problem could be almost anything, from hardware to any software installed, etc.
    Vista Startup Repair
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
    ======
    You said that you ran a MemTest and all was Ok - I'd still remove all Ram sticks, except just one, and see it it will boot up.
    Just have the mouse, keyboard and the monitor connected to the pc - no extra USB devices connected.

8. YesChicken

All right! Unbelievable! It's one of the RAM sticks. I had attempted a system repair just before you posted and it blue screened again, so I went right to pulling out the memory sticks one at a time.

Stick 1 booted Windows normally (though it was set to clean boot so only Windows processes were loaded) for the first time in days.

Stick 2 blue screened immediately and repeatedly. Out of curiosity I plugged in the USB stick with Memtest86 loaded on it and ran the test. Started getting memory errors right away; stopped the test at around 11k errors on test #5.

I ran Memtest86 with the "good" stick and no errors were returned. I've now successfully booted up Vista in all its normal glory, and I've filled out an RMA on G-Skill's website to get a replacement stick.

I am so glad you made me physically swap out the memory even though earlier memtests came back negative. I can't thank you enough for your help! Wish I'd gotten off my butt and posted here a week ago. Go buy yourself a thank-you cake and pretend it's from me!

9. blues_harp28

Good news - thanks for the update. (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice