1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sportzriter13, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sportzriter13

sportzriter13 Thread Starter

New laptop has bluetooth built in and I've been using a program that sends phone notifications to my laptop (because I can, of course).

So, I decided that the desktop needed to learn a few new tricks. I purchased a generic USB dongle, and figured I'd be all set. Apparently I was wrong.

The dongle is plugged into one of the front USB ports. Not once has the blessed thing gone blue...it's been red the whole time.
    v 2.0, should that be important. My phone is a Kyocera Rise (android, ICS, Virgin Mobile).

First problems appear when I attempt to add my phone as a bluetooth device.

Bluetooth on phone is on, and the dongle, according to Octavia (my desktop), is working properly.
    So here's how it goes...I am terrible at notes and am having trouble describing how it went last time except for screaming and yelling. What follows is a play-by-play.

Right now Octavia is looking for new devices, as is the Kyocera...and the Kyocera finds Octavia.
    Touch to pair (Octavia still hasn't found anything). My bluetooth settings (the few available) are set so that they can find each other)
    Kyocera: Can't communicate with Octavia. (Stop here and go fill up your coffee mug, it's going to be a while).
    *eyeroll*
    Let's try this again. This time, Octavia won't be doing anything (except for taking notes), and the Kyocera will go looking,
    Kyocera has found Octavia and I'll touch to pair.

To pair, type the device's required pin.
    *problem* Octavia hasn't told me the pin yet.
    Let's try the old "0000" trick
    Crap I waited too long, pairing rejected by Octavia.
    Trying again
    0000 worked!
    Octavia says "A bluetooth device is trying to connect" (Gee, ya think?) and wants the code.
    So I tell her 0000.
    This makes Octavia happy and she goes about trying to install drivers.
    *problem* drivers do not install correctly. (drink coffee, sigh).
    I look at my device manager.
    There is a new icon that looks like a generic cell phone, and it says Rise.
    Right click and...crap. Needs troubleshooting.
    Let's check it out.
    It wants me to install drivers for this device. Brilliant!
    One of my options is...apply this fix. Click
    Drink Coffee, tap fingers. Octavia doesn't sound happy. Groan
    Oh look... drivers did not install successfully .
    Let's look at device settings.
    Under hardware I have three device functions. It looks like Henry Ford's color palate...(black black or black).
    They all say Bluetooth Peripheral device and, surprise, they all have an error. Type is listed as "other device".
    If I click on one of the happy trio, I get this under General
    "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."
    -
    I have tried changing settings and trying to tell it "pretend it's __" with no luck so far. It seems like the driver options are really limited (but maybe it's just me...I didn't check and see what my laptop said -not going to fix what isn't broken-)

During this whole fiasco, the bluetooth icon on my phone has stayed "byte me grey" and the dongle on the front of Octavia has stayed "byte me red". If they really were talking to each other (sounds like an episode of Jerry Springer, doesn't it?) they would be blue (I know the phone would be, at least).

I found driver files (probably to support modem capability) on Kyocera's website. They've already been downloaded and, nothing happens.

So...what now????

Am I missing anything (apart from drivers??)
    Here's what I've tried so far...
    downloaded HP wireless assistant (which does...nothing when I click it. I've tried forcing it to run, and Octavia claims she can't find it...when I'm typing application's file name exactly as I see it).
    Looked for drivers for my computer (specs should be in my sig)...and came up empty on HP's website.
    It's a generic so I have no idea where I should be looking for drivers.
    Microsoft hasn't been much of a help either (looking for bluetooth drivers for win 7...and I get a ration of how-to's without relevant downloads...really?)
    When I look for driver files, the driver file I installed doesn't seem to appear...except for the installer in downloads, in explorer.

I've written down stats for my BIOS, thinking it may be a good excuse to find an update. So far I've found this through the manufacturer website for award,
    http://phoenixbios.com/?ref=752 and after giving me a report of what old drivers I have, wants me to join BiosAgent and give them about $40 of my hard earned money. (n) Please tell me this is not legit and or that there's a student discount.

Are there any apps for the phone that could be of use here? I have checked for Android/firmware updates and have come up empty.

I will also take a moment to warn you I'm stretching here (I'll go back and check my hardware class textbook, but it didn't seem like we went beyond generalities on that part), so don't be afraid to talk down to me.

It was a cheap amazon find, and since I opened it, am not sure if I can send it back. Luckily it was cheap and the other half gave me a big old amazon gift card for my birthday. :) So if it turns out the generic part of it is a problem, what adapter should I pick instead (maybe one that comes with management software????)...or should I avoid usb dongles entirely and go for, say, an expansion card. :confused:

Any advice/help would be really welcomed! Thank you!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You need to install drivers for the Usb bluetooth dongle. Did it come with a CD ?

3. sportzriter13

I can only wish. It was a no-name, no software plug and play deal. I was downloading drivers for all different brands until I narrowed it down to bluesolei. Their website is...terrible and it looks like I'd have to pay for any software associated. That is assuming the dongle would actually be compatible with my phone and support things such as media streaming.
    I've noticed that media streaming on my blackberry car visor device (which pushes sound to my car speakers via an empty FM channel), the sound cuts out a lot (twice as much as it did with my BB). So I am wondering if the same would happen if I got it to actually work. I've downloaded drivers from Kyocera with no luck. I really don't want to replace it (heck, my alphasmart bag works for my laptop...I probably should just cover up the "alphasmart" logo on the bag, because it is kinda false advertising...lol), but it is looking that way. *groan*

Last night I uninstalled all of the extra bluetooth software/drivers etc that I've added since this saga began. My SSD has only so much space, and I'm starting classes tomorrow, so I'm going to table this project for now. Managed to do what I want to do by tweaking app settings on my phone and going over wifi.
    I think at this point I'm in the market for a new device, from a well known brand, that is recent and comes with software.
    Any recommendations on what brands to look at? Or places to actually find generic drivers for smartphone functions (media streaming, dialing, etc)?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the problem is the Bluetooth dongle, I know someone else who bought a 'no-name' one and never go it to work, so you're not alone.

I'm glad you got the wireless to do what you need. Good luck in class !

(If you're finished with this thread please mark it as 'Solved' by clicking on 'Thread tools' near the top of the webpage).

5. sportzriter13

Thank you for replying (and wishing me good luck...with the way the snow's falling right now, I'll probably need it just getting to class).
    Do you have any manufacturers I could look into, should I decide to buy another dongle and try to make the plunge into bluetooth again? :)

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Nothing specific but if you buy one with a maker you recognise and it comes with it's own software I think you will be ok.

You could open a new thread here asking for recommendations if you want to.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice