1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot device question in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozegirl, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

System: ASUS EE PC Seashell netbook, Win 7 Starter installed

BIOS reports as:

ASUS 101PX ACPI BIOS
    Revision 1101, Core 1101, Build 02/18/11
    EC Firmware Version EPCD-051

V 02.58 American Megatrends.

My questions:

I want to use disk imaging software to create a rescue disk that I can use on this netbook to restore the whole disk if necessary.

Creating the disk is no problem. However since the netbook has no CD drive I need to attach a USB CD drive externally.

I presume that to boot from this I would change the boot order in BIOS to boot from removable media rather than CD ROM drive?

Also attached is a screen shot of what I see in the boot order menu. Not exactly the same BIOS as mine but the same screen. I am just wanting to know - where it says options in parentheses are disabled - does it mean these [ ] as I don't think this can be the case as it boots up just fine into Windows as is. Does it mean ( ) or even { } for parentheses?

I am just a bit apprehensive about changing anything here until I know more about the disabled feature as I googled and found quite a few people saying they had all boot devices disabled and could not find a way to re-enable them. Unfortunately nothing much in images to demonstrate their particular situation in the BIOS....

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The wording is sometimes confusing or incorrect in some BIOS menus.

But basically you have three boot devices, each one can be changed or disabled. Press Enter over each device after moving to it using the UP/DOWN arrows to select or change the device, and one of the options will be to disable the boot device altogether, it'll be called Disabled or None in most cases, and you can always change it back to another device. To boot off a USB connected drive change the first boot device to Removal Dev, and the second to Hard Drive.

Also, many computers provide a button to press at boot up to choose a temporary boto device, watch the screens or try ESC, F8, F10, F11, or F12.

In your screenshot the first device the computer will try to boot from is the hard drive, if it were to not find anything there to boot it would move on to a Removal Device which could be a USB stick, USB Hard Drive, USB Optical drive, or a media card such as an SD Card, if it fails to find a bootable one of those then it moves on to an ATAPI CD-ROM which if the computer doesn't have one it'll skip as well and start the boot over again or halt.

You should plug in the USB CD\DVD drive before trying to change the boot order as you may get a new or specific option to select that drive.

Are you going to use the Asus Recovery Software to make the discs?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To access the quick boot menu on a netbook, hit the esc key during post. Note those netbooks have a quick boot option that is enabled by default so you have to be pretty quick hitting the key.

FWIW I disabled the quick boot option in the bios and it does not make much difference [if any] in speed however you do get a few extra seconds to access the quick boot menu or access the bios.

4. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks both..

@Triple6: that's pretty much how I read it, but just a little apprehensive without knowing for sure...I have changed boot order before in other BIOS systems in which it was much more simplistic - as you say this message is a bit confusing, badly worded, badly placed or both. I had seen other people mention they had this same message, some of whom had trouble with booting but obviously due to other causes. No not the Asus recovery - I am going to get an Acronis True image 3-licence pack to put on 2 PC's and this laptop.

@ crjdriver: thanks also, yes I have quick boot enabled and you're right you get about 1 second to hit the key :)

5. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

PS Triple 6. Thanks for the tip about plugging the device in. You were right it did recognise it as a specific drive, good tip :)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad to help :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice