1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot Disk Failure

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by buf, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Running Windows 7 Home Premium. For three days now I have seen nothing but the error Boot Disk Failure when trying to boot up.. I can overcome it by putting the IOS 7 disk in the DVD CD drive and let it boot so that I can then run the repair on the computer. I borrowed an OS 7 install disk and the same thing happens. After a series of checking the system I am informed that nothing wrong was found. If I leave the disk in the drive, even through rebooting, the machine runs just fine. If I take the disk out of the drive, I am dead in the water until I put it back in the drive, reboot and let the tests start over again and all is fine. Any help for me? As usual, TIA.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2942 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 465670 MB, Free - 434472 MB; D: Total - 11165 MB, Free - 2084 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, NARRA5
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. dai

dai

check the boot partition is marked active

from the dos option try

fixboot

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You won't find any "fixboot" to run. In any case, the proper tool for Windows 7 would be the Bootrec Tool. It is possible, and even likely, that if you use this tool on a machine that contains a recovery partition, you will lose access to recovery. Any changes to partitions lead to this.

If you installed the OS yourself and have the installation DVD, use the bootrec tool from the recovery environment to repair bootability. If not, save your data and restore the system from the recovery partition.

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I have been considering using the 3 System Recovery DVD disks I burned just after installing the win 7 OS and start out wih a fresh install. I did just that days ago and my problem still exists. I thought this included a format of the hard drive and in fact I recall seeing that taking place--ran for awhile to do it and I suspect it was a quick format. Even after this was done, I was greeted with the same problem. I would have thought after formatting the internal hard drive this problem would have gone away.
    Re-thinking when this problem first began; it could have been all of this past week--I really can't remember now. Elvandil I don't know what you mean about losing(?) access to the Factory Partition if I use the Bootrec.Exe but I am not interested in losing it. Is the partition some part of the 3 DVD System Recovery disks I burned? There just doesn't seem to be a light at the end of my tunnel :( This reply is meant to shed some light on what has and is happening. Questions? I'll do my best to anwer as best that I can.

5. dai

dai

in msconfig,under the boot tab try ticking the box op sys information and see if it boots without the disk

i ran into this problem awhile ago and i think this is what i eventually used to work around it

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

No luck dai but thanks for your additional reply and continued offer to help. It just seems odd that I have to use any disk to keep in the DVD/CD tray in order that I may see and use my OS.
    BTW, recheck your last suggestion's words; I don't see the op sys under the boot tab.

7. dai

dai

os boot information

last one on the right

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    dai, are you talking about Windows 7 msconfig? Mine looks like the attached.

Attached Files:

9. dai

dai

yes referring to right column of boxes bottom box

os boot information

10. buf

buf Thread Starter

dai, I just tried that and it still did not work for me !!!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In the boot order the optical drive is first and the hard drive is second? And the hard drive is enabled as a boot device?

Please show a screen shot of the Disk Management window. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

12. buf

buf Thread Starter

Was just re-reading the posts and see that I failed to get the disk shot you wanted. Hopefully, here it is:

Attached Files:

13. dai

dai

14. buf

buf Thread Starter

Continued thanks dai. I have tried that and so many others that I am just going to reinstall from "scratch" by just starting over--at least that is my thinking at this point. Everything is working great as long as I keep the install disk in the CD Rom tray. Good working with you again.

15. dai

dai

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice