1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] boot disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fireball, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

how do I make a boot disk?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Click on Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Add/RemovePrograms>StartupDisk>MakeDisk

3. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

I did that, now how do I boot up with it?

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Insert it in the floppy drive and power on the PC. It should boot to the Boot Menu.

BTW, can I ask what your trying to do from a Boot Menu?

5. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

I did try that, but it did not go to a boot menu. Is there anything else that I need to do?

I am trying to re-format my hard drive and have been up all night with this and I am SO frustrated!!!

HELP! PLEASE!:confused:

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You need to get into the BIOS setup and be sure the Boot Sequence is "A, C, D". The floppy drive, letter A:, needs to be before the C: and D: drive in the sequence.

Do you know how to get into Setup for the BIOS? Right when you power on your PC, on the screen you should see instructions on getting into Setup. It's usually done by pressing F1 or DEL.

Once you get it to boot to the floppy, let us know and we'll post the steps you need to follow to fdisk, format and reinstall Windows to an empty drive.

Or if you need help getting into the BIOS setup, let us know the make and model of the PC.

7. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

restart and hit delete while loading? anything else I should know?

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Is that what it says on the screen when you first turn the PC on, "Press the Delete key to get into Setup"?

9. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

yes it does....

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Once your in the BIOS setup, the Boot Sequence is usually under the section "CMOS Setup" but the wording of the section can differ. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight the section and press enter.

Once your in the CMOS setup, look for something like "Boot Sequence" or "1st Boot Device", "2nd Boot Device", etc.. and set the first to A the second to C and the third to the CDRom drive. Once your done press the ESC key. You should be prompted to Save the changes. Be sure you save the changes.

11. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

thanks so much for the help!!! I will go try all this and let you if I have any problems!

thanks again! :D

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your welcome, let us know what happens.

13. fireball

fireball Thread Starter

thank you very much Bryan for all your help! Everything worked fine, thanks to your advice. Sorry it took me so long to reply, but everything went crazy and I just got everything up and running again!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice