Solved: Boot from SATA HD, PXE-E61 error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

forris

Hi,
I have installed a new WD Raptor 74GB SATA HDD into my system and I am having trouble getting my PC to boot from it. Below are the steps I've already taken;

Mounted drive in case and connected all leads, data lead connected to SATA channel 2;

Fired up PC, new drive recognised by BIOS. Formatted and partitioned in XP using Partition Magic 8;

Used Casper XP to clone original C: drive to new drive. (This is a fantastic little program and has never failed before);

Rebooted PC, changed drive boot order in BIOS and Nvidia boot manager;

PC will not boot, error message PXE-E61 Media Test Cable / PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM / Invalid Partition Table;

Disconnected other 2 HDDs (IDE), Rebooted PC using XP CD into Recovery Console, cloned XP install recognised on new drive as C:, used fixmbr;

Rebooted PC, still receiving PXE error messages;

PLEASE HELP!!!

Darren

PC Specs
AMD64 3200+
1GB Kingston ram
Maxtor 120GB IDE HDD
Maxtor 160GB IDE HDD
WD Raptor 74GB SATA HDD
CD/DVD drive
CDRW drive
DVD-RW drive
ATI 9600 AGP graphics

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You seem to have omitted one step, installing the SATA controller drivers before you did the clone of the XP system. Since you have a working system, install the drivers onto that, then clone it to the SATA drive. I'd also make sure that the new drive is NOT assigned a drive letter in Disk Management, and remove the drive letter if it is. This will prevent the cloned copy from thinking Windows is installed on that drive letter and not C:

crjdriver

I do not use casper, however when you clone a drive you do not partition and format it. Just install the drive as it comes out of the box. Clone the drive; shutdown and remove the original drive. Any partition info that is already on the drive will confuse the cloning process.

As John posted make sure the sata controller shows up in device manager without any yellow marks next to it before you begin this task.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you make the mistake of cloning with the new drive assigned a drive letter, there is a cheap hack that will normally fix it.

Boot an MS-DOS floppy with FDISK on it, and type:

FDISK /MBR

...at the command prompt. This removes the disk signature that XP uses to recognize the drive and remember it's drive letter assignment.

forris

Thanks for your help guys.

I checked for the SATA drivers and they were present and correct in Device Manager, so then I used Partition Manager to unallocate the new HDD.

I ran Casper Xp again, which succesfully cloned a 72GB partition to a 69GB HDD (as I said before, excellent bit of software!).

I then disconnected the power from the other 2 HDDs and booted with just the new drive connected. Windows fired up straight away (and damn quickly too) and I didn't even need to enter the BIOS. One more step left!

Shutdown PC, reconnected original drives, rebooted, et viola - Windows!! Now to decide what I'm going to use the other drives for.

I would like to add that I did try to use the Data Lifeguard utility supplied by Western Digital and found it very unhelpful. When it asked me to choose my drive from a list, my HDD wasn't even listed. Then when I wanted to copy my original boot partition to the new drive it partitioned the new drive in to 2 partitions and the software could not cope with copying a 72GB partition onto a 69GB one!

Anyway, all working wonderfully now. Thanks again guys.

Darren

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online